Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

DE's and car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 AM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DE's and car insurance

For those who track their cars or participate in DE's, what insurance do you have to cover such driving? I have Haggerty Ins. and they don't cover organized speed events. I have been thinking about getting into some DE's at Limerock, but I am concerned about insurance.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:01 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have reason to be concerned. If you do not have specific insurance for DE's and Club Racing, any accidents are not covered and you are burdened with fixing your car. Also, if you cause an accident or are involved in one, you can & usually are liable for fixing the other guys car also. I would ask around at race venues or ask on-line if anyone has a source for the particular insurance you are requiring. I know it is available, but know who provides it nor any cost.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:20 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom Bobbitt, PCA President, posted an article in our region's (Suncoast)monthly newsletter in response to one of our member's articles about this issue. Tom informed us that there is a PCA special program developed with a firm specifically for DE events. It involves physical damage protection to Porsches when we participate in club DE's. The info is as follows:

Laurel Consulting Group of Toronto, Canada
Peter Sereda, Principal
866 518-1110

Apparently they also advertise in Panorama--don't know the cost.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

That is correct if the event is sanctioned by PCA. It was not clear whether the inquirer was wanting general or specific feedback. I was speaking in general as if it wasn't a PCA event. Even at PCA events the driver's would need to contact the organizers to make sure they are covered. There is a cost associated with the coverage.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Buyer beware, I believe this coverage is for DEs only and does not cover even the practice sessions at TTs.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by S2TGART
For those who track their cars or participate in DE's, what insurance do you have to cover such driving? I have Haggerty Ins. and they don't cover organized speed events. I have been thinking about getting into some DE's at Limerock, but I am concerned about insurance.
American Collector's Insurance. It covers DE's, has a high deductable but is based on agreed value so just insure the car for as much as possible. The coverage is by the year, not per event. I think I paid around $400 for $30K coverage.. You do need "regular" insurance on the car also I believe.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:35 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I have American Collector's as well and I am very happy with. Same program as described by Gary R.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I have American Collector's as well. Many people in our region have it and it has been put to the test several times in the last few years. No issues with payment when a car was involved in an incident at a DE. Unfortunatly their coverage is not available in all states. Check their web site www.americancollectorsins.com for more exact information.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

DE is a low risk thing. Why do you think you need insurance? Sensible people don't need to worry about accidents at DE in MHO

Regards,
Old 01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

A lot of the DE's run here in Texas are at Texa World Speedway (Cllege Station area) and Texas Motor Speedway (Ft Worth). All that I have been to are very high speed fender-to-fender, similar to Club Racing. As always, it's incumbent on the participants to use discretion during the event or they can cause or be involved in accidents.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
DE is a low risk thing. Why do you think you need insurance? Sensible people don't need to worry about accidents at DE in MHO

Regards,

Ahh yes, the "S" word... This past year i've seen a GT3 and a 944 rolled along with MANY multi-thousand dollar whacks and that's just at Limerock and WGI WHEN I was there. For the few hundred dollars a year I can run to the best of my ability and know that if something does happen I will simply get another car and keep going. I like that feeling, but that's just me.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Regards,
Yup, but catastrophic loss if something does happen. $400 for peace of mind is cheap IMHO
Old 01-17-2006, 07:49 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2TGART
Take the time to contact YOUR insurance provider. Ask for a copy of your policies EXCLUSIONS. Then take a read. It may or may not be covered. In many instances, I have seen DE "accidents" covered by a provider. They may, however, elect to drop you soon after paying your claim.

Coverage usual hinges upon the words "competition" and "timing".
Old 01-20-2006, 04:38 AM
dvkk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I live, my insurance co views a DE as a "driver training course", and thus we are fully covered.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:50 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,131 Likes on 2,889 Posts

You should be prepared to have your car be a total loss as a worst case (not considering injury), but every track I've ever been to requires a waiver so that you are not responsible for anyone else's car (and they are not responsible for yours - no matter the party at fault)

Quick Reply: DE's and car insurance