Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Has anyone seen this color in real life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM
LDH17
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone seen this color in real life?

Hi everyone!
I'm shopping for a 911 and found a perfect 88 coupe , but it's a color I've never seen. The color is caramel Beige(499) w/ leather in Caramel(4UC) .
The owner sent me photos but the color doesn't read well. It's kinda pink-ish...
Has anyone seen this color in real life? Is it kinda funcky cool unique or just ugly!?!?

Just wanna know what the general concensus is before I take a day off work to see this car-
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't comment on that color since I don't recall seeing a 911 in that color. However, odd color cars are sometimes hard to sell. The pool of buyers for odd colors is obviously much smaller than for cars in more standard colors.

If you plan to keep whatever 911 you buy for a long time, then it won't really matter much (and you might be able to negotiate the price down a bit too). If you want to flip it after a few years, then it's probably best to stick with a more common or more accepted color.

If I was in your shoes, I'd check it out anyway since I love odd color 911's. Makes the car that much more special!

The dealer I bought my car from told me they couldn't sell it due to the color... That fact helped me a bit in negotiating a better price.

Jay
90 964
Old 01-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Geeze, Jay and I seem to comment on the same threads - I promise, we are different people. Meanwhile, when I first saw my '73, it was when the previous owner opened up the barn door - yes, a real barn door, and there inside was this '73 that had been slumbering for 10 years, with completely factory original paint, interior and tires. And, it was the ugliest color I'd ever seen. I was very tempted to just walk away. As we drove the car to the mechanic for a PPI, I commented that I was disappointed in the color. I was just being honest, and wasn't playing negotiation games. He ended up offering to knock off $1,000 from the price because of it. Well, I ended up buying it. And, not only do I still have the car, and it still has the factory paint and interior, and not only has it been a truly remarkable, completelty reliable, never once stranding me car, but I now LOVE the color! It's not so much that I like the color, it's that it's different. There are too many guys around here in their black or red 911s who clearly think that people think better of them because of their car. Yet, I know there is NO way anyone looks at me in my car and things I'm some ego maniac. (No offense to the guys with black or red 911s who are not jerks).

So, do I care that it's an off color with a smaller market 17 years later? Not for a second.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Jay H
Drifting

My car color isn't all that odd or even all that rare, but I sure do get the nice comments at the concours shows that I show my car at. It certainly stands out from the Guards Red, black, etc. cars that are more common. Works in my favor when the judges see it too since they like something different as well. I love Guards Red 911's, but having a more limited color sure is fun.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:22 AM
LDH17
Track Day

thanks guys for the support!
I've always gravitated to the slightly unique, so I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there who doesn't want red or black! ( not that there's anything wrong with red or black, just not for me!!)
Interesting that you say that you hated the color of your 911 when you got it, then came to love it, shortly after i got married my in-laws gave my wife and I a '80 mercedes wagon. Silver with burnt seina (sp?) tex interior..wow, did I hate that interior!! It only took about 3 months until I LOVED it!! we eventually had to sell it and I've spent countless hours on the internet searchiing for another one!!

I'll take the day off work monday and drive down to check this caramel carrera out. the owner says he keeps it in a pressurized bubble, like on eof those tennis bubbles, in his heated garage!!! (Yikes! that will be hard act to follow)!
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2006, 03:11 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

personally I like that color. Then again the first 951 I wanted to buy had a Can-Can red interior. I guesss I just like the old color cars. That one looks like a really nice car. Looks like it has front and rear spoliers. Good luck

Brandon
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Jay H
Drifting

That's a good color. I'd be all over that car.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:25 AM
LDH17
Track Day

Ok, I feel good that the members are with me on the color. now the question is this 911 has been basically hermetically sealed and stored and only brought out for shows. stored in a bubble and towed to the shows in a box trailer. driven only in and out of the trailer for three or four shows a year for the past couple of years. It's scored a bunch of 2nds and 3rd's in concours. I'm not a show guy and would actually drive the car as was intended by the clever boys in Weissach. Is this going to make the show guys and collectors flip out? am I committing a crime against nature by driving a super clean show car? should I take a pass and let a collector continue the preservation?

-Lewis
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Jay H
Drifting

First off, how many miles on this car?

I have a car that I drive sparingly and it mostly goes to concours event. I do drive it to the events however and it's not trailered. I'm not doing it much good by parking it for so much, but I do get her out and all heated up once a month during the driving season with a decent 25-40 mile run which includes at least run up to red line in a couple gears when the car is hot.

If however, this car only goes to shows on a covered trailer and doesn't get driven at least once a month or so, I'd stear clear and just let someone who shows cars buy this one. You want a driver, not a show car.

Undriven cars have their own set of problems and you're better off buying a car that has been driven regularily (2000 to 12,000 miles per year). This car might be all dried out...

If I wanted a concours car, I'd be all over this one. If I wanted a 911 to drive, I'd be looking elsewhere. There might be a premium price on this car due to it's show car condition and that would erode quickly when you start driving it. Just my $.02.

Jay
90 964
Old 01-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by LDH17
Is this going to make the show guys and collectors flip out? am I committing a crime against nature by driving a super clean show car? should I take a pass and let a collector continue the preservation?

-Lewis
Lewis,

It's kind of sad to see all that work erased if you start driving a show only car, but again, it's your money, your car, so you can do what you want.

Jay
Old 01-15-2006, 09:34 AM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Originally Posted by LDH17
thanks guys for the support!
I've always gravitated to the slightly unique, so I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there who doesn't want red or black! ( not that there's anything wrong with red or black, just not for me!!)
Interesting that you say that you hated the color of your 911 when you got it, then came to love it, shortly after i got married my in-laws gave my wife and I a '80 mercedes wagon. Silver with burnt seina (sp?) tex interior..wow, did I hate that interior!! It only took about 3 months until I LOVED it!! we eventually had to sell it and I've spent countless hours on the internet searchiing for another one!!

I'll take the day off work monday and drive down to check this caramel carrera out. the owner says he keeps it in a pressurized bubble, like on eof those tennis bubbles, in his heated garage!!! (Yikes! that will be hard act to follow)!
What is the story with this car? Looks really nice, love that color.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche used to offer a fantastic palette of neat colors, different from the norm. The car you're looking at is one of them. I think it's a plus, not a minus. It's beautiful and you're not going see a bunch of them at every event. That makes it special.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 AM
LDH17
Track Day

Snowdon-
This car is owned by a PCA guy in NYC who also lives in miami..He has a couple 356's and BMWs that he keeps down there,..He wants to move some of those cars up there, but is short one garage space so something has to go. the bimmer is for sale too so which ever car goes first... he has owned the car for 2 or 3 years, 41K miles, only a show car for him, he's only put a 1000 miles on it in. a friend of mine found it in the PCA club mag. he wants $27K for it...I think the color is great! a renn lister named Julia has one the same color. You can see hers' "skippy" on the photo thread, the 2nd or 3rd page.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

A colleague of mine has a model year 1980 911SC in a very similar colour. In real life it looks even better.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

$27,000??? That price sounds a bit inflated. I don't think it would/should bring 27K outsdide of NYC or Miami, concours winner or not. My $.02.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen this color in real life?