Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Has anyone seen this color in real life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:36 PM
LDH17
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree,
I don't think he's real motivated to sell since he's got a BMW that can free up space for him if it sells. He said he was offered $25K for it and turned it down. That's what I was going to offer him!
What do you think a , lets assume like he says ;a "perfect" '87 w/ 41K miles, should go for?

I really want a clean mechanically perfect car, so what should I expect to pay?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You certainly can get a G-50 3.2 Carrera for under $20k. Typically those cars have mileage approaching or exceeding 100,000. Some are nice drivers, many would need a bit of work to be a show car.

I still think a near perfect (no used car is perfect), concours ready G-50 3.2 in excellent mechanical condition could bring $25k or more. It would have to be in excellent condition; meaning original paint, exceptional interior showing minimal wear, full records (window sticker too) and need very little maintenance or repairs.

If this car is THE car for you (year, model, condition, color, options, etc), then it very well could be worth $27k to you.

However, keep in mind that if you start driving this car and start putting on miles and wear and tear, the premium that you paid will errode quickly. Then you are better off finding a driver with a few blemishes with 80k on the clock for $22k. The $5,000 price difference will fix a lot of stuff and the regular useage of a car like this might prove to be a more reliable car than one that has been used for 1000 miles in the past 2-3 years.

Just my $.02.

Jay
90 964

I think paying $21-$23k for a very nice driver G-50 can be a realistic goal.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:59 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

I don't think the 27K is to much, there is people asking lots more for really nice G-50 cars.

I would offer 25K in a heart beat for that car.

Michael
Old 01-17-2006, 12:19 AM
stormmaster
Instructor

I am a newbie here.....Just purchased an 87 g50 car...I am curious as to why I can't see the attachment from the original post....by the way....I feel like I got a screaming deal on mine....I paid less than 22.....but the seller was extremely motivated....Mine has new steering rack, turbo tie rods, new rear axles, drilled rotors, new tires, 7&8s freshley polished, new sport muffler,roll bar (to be installed), new valve stem guides and top end done less than 1000 miles ago and lots of extra spares....its not concours....but it is pretty darn close....I have been waiting to buy this particular car for 5 years....but it was well worth the wait.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:31 AM
LDH17
Track Day

What do you guys think is the mark-up that you would pay buying from a dealer? Does this kind of car follow the general rule that you will always pay more for the same car from a dealer than from an individual? I've only bought one of my cars from a dealer, it was a consignment shop so I knew i was over the real price by 7-10% . I did get the ease of title transfer and plates etc. taken care of...but had to pay fair tax amount though..
But then, individuals can have significant emotional issues that can skew the fair value price. " this was my father's car , and I washed it everyday in the snow barefoot, blah, blah. blah.."

I know in the end that a car's value , or anything else for that matter, is what someone is willing to pay for it!
I just don't want to be a chump! I work too hard for those $$"s!!!
- Lewis
Old 01-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check a few high end dealers for similar cars and see what kinds of premiums they will charge for these cars.

www.sloancars.com has some nice cars at big premiums for certain models.

www.aicauto.com has an '86 with 35k on the clock for $33,500. How's that for a premium...!!! Ouch. I haven't seen a 915 3.2 priced that high in quite some time...and this car does not have ultra low miles either...though it seems extremely nice.

If this car (Skippy) is a high level car (cosmetically and mechanically), a high end dealer will price this thing at or above $30k.

Again, all that being said, if this is THE car for you, paying an extra grand or two does not make you a chump. Get the car you want if it's in your budget. I can understand not wanting to overpay for a car, but you don't want to loose the opportunity to own THE car for you over $2000... Spread $2000 over the length of time you own THE car and it gets to be pretty small dollars per year...

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen this color in real life?