Alternator nut .

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts
Default Alternator nut .

Hi Guys

I buggered the nut on my alternator, the threads look pretty good on the shaft but I need a new nut, anyone know where I can find one ? I bought a nut locally but it doesn't seem to fit, not sure if it is the wrong size or i have a little damage to the threads on the shaft and I don't want to forcr it . I boght a m16 1mm thread pitch.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:44 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure Pelican Parts sells them. Also, your local foreign alternator shop likely has one. There's not magic about these alternators.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Chris Holcombe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't mention what year or what alternator but according to my parts program at work an SC or Carrera with a 75 or 90 amp Paris Rhone alternator should (there are always exceptions...) take a M17 X 1.5 pitch. A 2.7 with a Bosch is a M14 X 1.5 pitch and the SEV versions are M16 X 1.0 pitch. Did you cross thread your old nut?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Unhappy

Okay I just new someone would ask so now I have to explain my bone-head of the year award move.
I have a 78 sc but I have only had it a few months. I took the fan out along with the alternator and housing as it looks terrible and wanted to paint it or something. Anyway the bolts holding on the alternator to the fan also hold the alternator together, so i thought I may as well replace the bearings . I am pretty sure it is NOT the original alternator , but it does have an external regulator. now the bone-head part. I wanted to get the front bearing out ( 6303 bearing dual seal ) as the rotor was all rusted and I needed it apart to clean it up, it must have been washed then put away at some point for a long time. So i decided to put it in my workmate and pound the shaft out of the bearing. being a "smart" guy I put the nut on a few threads and hit that so I am not hitting the threads directly. .. okay so you just know what is coming ....i drove the nut right down over the shaft ... after i recovered from shock I removed the nut. AMAZINGLY the shaft was in good shape as the nut is much softer. after licking my wounds I took my rotor to a alternator shop where he replaced both bearings,removed all the rust and lathed the contact rings,, for 30.00 CAD boy do I feel stupid.
Anyway the threads measured out at m16 pitch of 1MM. but a nut of that size would not fit. The origianl nut fit great but half the threads were gone. Not knowing what to do I happened to drive past ANOTHER alternator shop on the way to work. I walked into the shop and put it on the counter . The guy was on hold on the phone but picked up my rotor and looked at it . I told him I needed a nut and he nodded. after he hung up the phone he said "my friend, this is off a Porsche and you are in big trouble". He said some Porsche alternators use a very special nut that it is impossible to get. He reached behind him and on a nail on a rusty piece of wire was " one old nut" he spun it right on no problem and said "see" ! this is my test nut I keep it to see if it is a specialized shaft. So there IS something special about Porsche alternators .. at least some of them . The guy looked at my nut, noticed that some of the threads were gone and tested it on the rotor. Can you believe he GAVE ME HIS TEST NUT > he said my nut was fine for what he needed for testing and would not take any money .. WOW .. I asked him if he wanted my left nut for his test nut , but he said it was okay. I do in fact have an SEV MARCHAL alternator ( thanks for the info ) and I will check Pelican to see if they have the nut, but I can tell you absolutely a standard m16 1mm pitch nut will not fit !

If I can dig up any further info I will post here.

okay so now I have bared my soul .. let's here it ...
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Chris Holcombe
Advanced

Hey man it's all a "learning experience"! There are a lot of things I have destroyed in the process of learning how they work, but what else would we do for fun in our spare time?

An M16 X 1.0 shaft that a standard M16 X 1.0 nut does not fit? Are you sure it's not a M16 X 1.5?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yeah isn't that amazing ...

I took it to a a specialized metric hardware place that distributes hardware and he measured it with a pitch guage. It read out as 1.0 then used another guage to double check it was an M16. He even got about 5 different nut to make sure but none of them fit. The alternator guy confirmed this and said he couldn't explain it either and he had gone through a similar exercise. He just new that nut was very special. and of course Pelican had it listed , but as " no longer available". But i am going to keep this in mind while perusing reclaimers, Hershey , and other places as I definitely would like a spare now, because if I have a spare, I am pretty well guarenteed not to need it .. kind of like why I have spares of totally inaccsesable parts, figuring i would never have to change it ... and in the spirit of '' tales by the river bank" ... "but thats another story" .....
Old 01-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Chris Holcombe
Advanced

It must have some unique thread form. Maybe the angle of the thread "V" is different than the normal 60 degrees. I know a Whitworth thread (found on old Britsh iron) has a 55 degree V and a rounded root. It's probably something the French came up with just to prove they could...
Old 01-17-2006, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

typical...

Quick Reply: Alternator nut .