Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Severely BUCKING SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:14 PM
ZipperHead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severely BUCKING SC

I have an 83 SC, when I let the clutch out while trying to give it any gas, the car "bucks/jumps" severely. It feels like the car is about to come apart! If I let out the clutch and then give the car gas, I have no issues, all other gears are fine. This problem seems to be getting worse.

Is there an adjustment I can make to the clutch linkage to fix this?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Zip: This is a tough one, but without being able to drive the car my initial thought is that your clutch disc has become contamined with transmission oil leaking from the trans mainshaft seal. I'm afraid that engine removal will be necessary to fix the problem, which is normally referred to as "clutch chatter." Good luck with it...
Pete
Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

I have had the same issue with my 83 - it was barely driveable. The shifter would violently shake, and it sounding like something would break - could barely get out of my driveway. Adjustment of the clutch cable all but cured it. I beleive that the clutch cable housing was contacting the throttle linkage. I can still get it to buck/chatter under extreme circumstances, but normal driving is fine. I suspected transmission mounts or what Peter suggests, which may in fact be an issue for me, as the clutch is quite grabby. Or, maybe additional adjustment is required. For now, the car is very driveable. Will be interested to hear what you find.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
ZipperHead
Intermediate

My car is very drivable, just can't "get on it" when taking off in first gear. After that...all is good!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:49 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

I probably shouldn't have said barely driveable - but very difficult to get going. Could not give it any gas when letting out the clutch - once the clutch was fully engaged from idle, all was fine. Starting on a slight incline was nearly impossible. After the cable adjustment, I have no problems, unless I try to launch agressively. Your issue sounds eerily familiar, but your required fixe may be quite different. In fact, mine may not be fixed, just minimized. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 AM
ZipperHead
Intermediate

Ok....I have the bentley manual...what exactly do I adjust?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Check out the section for clutch cable adjustment. The adjustment needs to be carried out exactly as outlined in the Bentley.

But fist, I would get under the car and take a look at where the cable housing attaches to the clutch lever on the transmission. You will see the adjusting nuts, and the cable carrier with a slightly curved metal tube. You will also see some of the throttle linkage in close proximity to the clutch cable housing. In my case, the cable housing was contacting the throttle linkage. It was explained to me that the clutch cable needs to be adjusted to specs (as outlined in the manual) while at the same time allowing adequate "pre-load" on the cable housing so that it curves away from the throttle linkage, elliminating interferance.

This is the best I can explain it, and I am certainly no expert. Maybe others with more experience can chime in.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 AM
nkader
1st Gear

Same issue here

Quick Reply: Severely BUCKING SC