Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sticky Winter Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:16 AM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Sticky Winter Throttle

Before attempting to shoot Tri-Flow everywhere, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew a common culprit. In the warm seasons my throttle never sticks, but around 0 F. and below it increasingly, intermittently sticks at several points, even after about 100 miles with a fully warmed up engine. It might stick at 3200 RPM or 4000 RPM. I can punch the throttle several times while in 4th or 5th and sometimes it loosens it and sometimes I have to turn the key off and on the roadside work the throttle back and forth manually on the throttle body. Any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although this will likely be ZERO help...
I grew up in Anchorage. For a while I drove a VW bug. One winter day the sun was shining brightly (for about 2 hours anyway!) and we decided to do some crazy parking lot/snow drift adventures.
Afterwards, I parked the car outside (as usual) and didn't think about it until it was time to go home that evening.
I was amazed to discover that the clutch tube had ice in it and the cable wouldn't budge. I had to shift by matching RPMs the whole way to home. I finally warmed it up enough to let the cable loose the next day with a propane torch.

I'm wondering if something similar is occurring with your throttle linkage/body.
I'd try applying some type of grease/lubricant to the moving surfaces in order to dispel any moisture that might be collecting (and then freezing) on these parts.
+++
Old 01-09-2006, 08:57 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, a fellow Alaskan! Once I get the time I'll look it all over.
Thanks!
PS: My first car was a '67 Squareback.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. A stuck throttle is 'no bueno'.
+++

Quick Reply: Sticky Winter Throttle