Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What should I ask for my SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 PM
gregg911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I ask for my SC

I just bought a BMW 330i and will be selling my 80SC. I've got the SC in the Autotrader for 14k and have yet to get a call on it. I hope the lack of calls is due to the season and not a lack of SC buyers. I would appreciate any input regarding the pricing of this car.

80SC sunroof coupe
Tobacco Metallic Brown (repainted, clear coat is glossy)
Original interior with normal age
140,000 miles
Carrera Tensioners
Popoff Valve
Turbo Valve Covers
Strut tower brace
Alpine AM/FM CD
Bilstein HD
Bridgestone RE730 (225/50/ZR16 & 205/50/ZR16)
Updated 140 MPH tach
Air Conditioning is disconnected because the windows provide more cooling
Recently tuned

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gregg, Congrats on the 330 - it's a very good car. You have priced the SC at the upper end of the range, for what appears to be a nice, mid level car. Nothing wrong w/ that; "hit 'em high & work 'em" & "in negotiations, it is easier to lower the price than to raise it" are two of my favorite selling aphorisms.

Some parameters that matter are;
a) how long can you have the car on the market?
b) how widely are you willing to market it?
c) how desireable is your model / type & how special is your particular example?
d) how much are you willing to invest in it to improve its saleability?
e) detailed history known, documented & disclosed?
f) how strong is the market?
g) how flexable on price / deal structure are you?

in general, to get the highest price...
a) longer is better
b) wider is better (from putting a For Sale sign in the window to placing on ebay, an ad in the Shanghai Daily, etc...)
c) rare, special, unique & in demand is better (like long nose, long wb 911s right now)
d) fix interior wear? door dings? AC? (is it worth it ? : some buyers prefer a car NOT "fixed for sale")
e) put together a project / brochure-like presentation
f) market condition is currently ok, but this is the slow season for discretionary purchases
g) do you know your lowest acceptable price? have you made it clear that you will consider offers? will you take a trade, help finance, etc?

If you want to get the top price, in addition to opening the scope & duration of your effort, you must increase the real / perceived value of your car. One way would be to invest in a thorough, indpendent PPI (inc compression, chassis survey, etc.) that lays all the facts on the table so you can present that to a prospect (they'll still want their own PPI, & that's good). Some experienced buyers prefer an imperfect car wherein the complete truth is known to a seemingly perfect car w/ open questions (maint & accident history). By not focusing on price ("offers around $14K") & instead getting people to examine the car & drive it, you will improve your chances.

An '80 SC is (obviously) a quarter century old, not a rare model, yet a desirable car. Speculating, I think you will end up closer to $10-12K if there is no hidden badness & you can be patient. However, if the right car & buyer stumble into one another, $12-14K is not out-of-bounds. Good Luck!

Last edited by ked; 01-04-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by ked
An '80 SC is (obviously) a quarter century old, not a rare model, yet a desirable car. Speculating, I think you will end up closer to $10-12K if there is no hidden badness & you can be patient. However, if the right car & buyer stumble into one another, $12-14K is not out-of-bounds. Good Luck!
I think Ked is right on the money...95% of the early SCs (78-80) are selling between $10 and $12k...if you have time, patience and believe in your car, you might get close to the asking price though! Good luck...I personally find the SC the best entry level P-car...post some pics to the guys here...
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

As a reference point, I just bought a blk/blk 82 SC with 83k miles with similar work and additional upgrades for $14k (East Coast).

Sean
Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll add to the info already on this post (ked's post is right on the money).

Clean the car up too before taking pics of it and before showing it to people. That means cleaning all the junk out of it, vacuuming it, washing it thoroughly, dress the tires and putting a coat of wax on it. You don't necessarily need to get it ready for a concours, but having it as presentable as you can really helps the initial impression that people get.

I've seen so many cars for sale that are just plain dirty. Rugs need vacuuming, rims are dirty with brake dust, etc. etc. When buying a Porsche, most people (even if they will get the car dirty again right after they buy it with McDonalds wrappers and other misc stuff) want to see a very good looking car when buying.

Jay
90 964
Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

I'd put it in the ads for $12,500. 911 buyers will always PPI the car annd then expect you to eat some of whatever they'll have to do (or think they'll have to do) to the car to make it right. With the price at $12,500, you'll have room to negotiate down to the $11,500 to $12,000 range, which should be about right.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:19 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who's been following the 74-89 911 market, trying to get good at gauging value, and looking at the occassional 911, but not yet owning one, I can offer you some thoughts.

First, take the list you made and separate out items that were standard (e.g. sunroof), factory options, and then aftermarket mods (eg.g. strut bar)--the distinctions are not always clear. Not knowing enough about this year, I don't know if those tires are standard or aftermarket.

Second, the first thing I want to know about is what is the condition of 1) interior/exterior, and 2) motor. I have a pretty good idea of the exterior from your description. On the interior-what does normal age mean--do the seats have wear but not rips, and what about cracks in the dash (yes/no).
For the motor, I would need to know if you expect a rebuild or top-end job soon, or if this has recently been done. Does the motor run smooth and pull strong, and are their any oil leaks?

Third, I have to say that it may be hard to get buyers interested in this color. As someone who wants to buy a Porsche--my mental image is white, black, guards red, and sometimes I like navy or yellow.
But there are also plenty of people who like different or "period colors" just you may have to try to market to them -- enthusiasts. That would mean placing adds here (on Rennlist) and say at www.pelicanparts.com - Porsche cars for sale, and Roadfly, maybe eBay. The same enthusiasts may be ultra-picky/fussy and thus take you down on price, but it could also be that someone appreciates it very much and pays full price.

It also seems to be a very crowded market in California--Porshe's are as common as pie. Thus buyers can be picky because several new 911's are on Craigslist every week. Definately also put whether it will pass smog or if you have recently had it smogged also, for Californians.

As a potential buyer I am always looking for "deals" and the most bang for the buck. When
surfing the adds, in the 12-15k range I try to find an 84-86 Carrera 3.2 in decent condition--
posible if you are lucky. The SC's seem to vary a lot I have seen neglected Targa's go for
for around 8k-10 or nice ones closer to 10-13k--it all depends. As a challenge I am always
seeing what I could get (in an 911 or 912)when I type in the max price as $9999.00. It sounds
like if you wanted/neeed to sell fast, you could try to price it around 10k give or take--and emphasize the all-round solidness of the car and maintenance you have done, and glossy paint and non-ripped interior (assuming it is). If you wanted to hold out for that one hobbyist who loves your color and is wiling to pay top dollar you could try the 12-14k but has you pointed out already at 14k you aren't getting any bites. According to Excellence Aug 2005 - your car should be in the range of 13k-15k or more, but those numbers (as others will state) seem to be a bit high.

Quick Reply: What should I ask for my SC