When I hit the button to lower the window, I can
hear the window lifter go down, but the window
is stuck in place. When I use by hand to push
the window down, *klunk* it goes down.

This first happened 2 years ago. Brought it
to a mechanic who said the window had popped
out of the window lifter. He used some epoxy
to glue it back in, but I guess that wasn't a
permanent solution. Now I'm afraid there is a mess in there.

Any suggestions? Do I have to replace the
whole mechanism? Try glueing it again?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:25 AM
StanV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well bikerider7, you are about to become familiar with the inner workings of the 911 door. I have an '82SC, and there may be things about the '87 that others here will correct for your year, but I had exactly the same problem a couple of years back. The window had come loose from the guide rail in which it sits (and into which the regulator's 2 wheels fit). In my case the inner channel of the guide rail had quite a lot of corrosion, likely due to 20 year's worth of water seeping past the seals during carwashes, etc. I cleaned out the corrosion, used auto trim adhesive to "glue" the window back in, and then greased and reassembled the whole thing. This repair lasted 2 years before coming undone, at which point I replaced the guide rail and regulator with a used unit (I believe from PartsHeaven).
The work requires you to remove the inner door panel (there are so many little screws and things that I found the Bentley manual essential) and wrestle a bit with moving large objects through small holes, but is an ideal project for a home mechanic because:

1) The job can require a lot of patience and time, but can be tackled with little or no mechanical background, and fairly commonly available tools. So, you save $$$ compared to having a shop do the work.
2) While you're in there, you can adjust the window; a bit of trial and error costs you nothing but time, and you'd be surprised how a bit of tweaking can minimize wind noise. Also, when you eventually replace Targa seals or weatherstripping, it'll not be daunting to readjust the windows.
3) You can spend the time you're working being grateful that your power window motor still works. They are not cheap!
4) If you eventually give up and take it to a shop, you've not likely burned a whole lot of bridges.

I don't think there's "a mess" in there. It may well be repairable, but if not I have a hard time imagining how the previous repair could make replacing the regulator and guide much more difficult than it already is.

Have fun!

Stan

Quick Reply: Window problems