Looking for Quality Fuel Pressure Test Gauge Set

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Looking for Quality Fuel Pressure Test Gauge Set

Folks,

I'm looking for a source for a new Bosch (or comparable quality) Fuel Pressure Test Gauge set that would allow me to do all of the tests I would need to do on both my '86 3.2L Carrera and my wife's '88 944NA.

Any input would be appreciated with respect to sources and alternate (quality!) brands. I basically want to buy something ONE TIME and have it work in all cases for both cars FOREVER (with appropriate care of course!).

Thanks!

Barry
Old 01-04-2006, 09:47 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

baum tools has all the p tools like p1318 which may be what you're after. I've heard that some CIS kits will fit motronic, like from jc whitney and the like, probably POS though. I assume your 944 has the same injectors, same motronic, to use the same kit? is the test port on the rail the same?
i've managed to scrap by without, but I plan on tapping the test port plug for a gauge
just don't know when
Old 01-04-2006, 10:34 PM
john70t
Advanced

Make sure the one you buy says CIS on it though, most don't. The very cheapest ones are made for modern FI and only have the shrader valve conector fitting for the fuel rail.
I bought the "cheapo" harbor freight one and it came with a great deal of jumbled fittings, though the acuracy of the guage etc. is unknown. Worked fine for a 90s VW Golf(same system). The guages are replaceable through auto sport shops etc...
Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

You may want to ask on the 928 board. the 28 allowed for a pressure gauge to be mounted on the fuel rail and to stay there..... if anyone would know where to get one they would. all the serious 28r's have them on the car
Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Folks (Pete/Steve???),

Just a bump. Baum appears to list nothing under the Porsche Motronic category on their website (with two list-box entries for the subject at that... go figure...). I'll call them Monday to make sure it's not a website flub on their part.

In the meantime, I REALLY want to get a good gauge setup here; not a POS! I'm assuming folks like Pete or Steve would have a recommendation or two... HIT ME!

Any suggestions regarding quality tool sources?

I've got a cold/slightly warm-start issue that I'm thinking (read HOPE!) is caused by a faulty check-valve on the fuel pump or perhaps a faulty hose fitting/connection/injector so the first thing is to get a quality gauge on it and see if my pressure holds according to specs or not.

There's no 'fuel smell' anywhere so if it's a leak it's venting back into the tank (check valve?), into a cylinder (injector?) or escaping so slowly from a hose/tube/rail connection that there's no smell.

An hour or two (or longer) sit between runs seems to be enough to require a two to three attempt on the starter to get things going - after that I'm fine, and it never needs more than the two or three trys.

Sometimes (even after a day or two of sitting) it even fires on the first try but then seems to stumble a bit until I tap the gas pedal a few times and then everythings fine again.

Thoughts?

Barry
Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

make your own I say. cheap

Last edited by J. Brinkley; 09-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

and here http://tools.baumtools.com/index.jsp...dex=5&menu=por

Quick Reply: Looking for Quality Fuel Pressure Test Gauge Set