Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best Prices on Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Today I ordered a clutch cable from Performancemotor. Other vendors have this part at $69...Performance Motor has it at $49 with no tax and free UPS ground shipping. This is a no brainer.

Most of their parts are OEM, according to their website... brands like BOSCH etc.

Yesterday I purchased some BOSCH spark plugs from a different vendor, at $2.30 each...Performancemotor has them at about $1.40 or so.

Why the difference? I dont care. If PM gives me the same service, then they will be my new vendor for parts.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:31 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
An interesting discussion indeed. Chances are, if you call any of these guys up to ask about the parts, they will barely even know what a 911 is. Why? As someone correctly pointed out, they are all using the same drop-ship supplier to sell these parts. There are about 250-300 of these guys on the Internet - we are one of them too, for makes and models other than Porsche and BMW (see <a href="http://www.pelicanpartsexpress.com)." target="_blank">http://www.pelicanpartsexpress.com).</a>

The problem is that these guys are just a front for the wholesale supplier of these parts. I know what the costs of these parts are, and some of these guys are selling (dumping) parts on about 7% margin. It's easy for them to do because they don't touch the product, and there are very little costs involved.

However, the selection offered by these guys is very limited. While they may sell the mainstream parts, they only offer about 10% of what Pelican has to offer, in terms of selection. We even have a new feature that allows you to lookup and order any part by part number. This is *any* part that can be special ordered by a dealer. Try it:

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/search_query.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/search_query.htm</a>

We've chosen to compete with these 'front' businesses by offering better selection, good service, and knowledge and support for the parts that we sell. We cannot sell on a 7% margin and stay in business - and we don't strive to either. Our prices are not the lowest on the Earth, but we make sure that we price them to be 'in the middle of the pack.' We have consitently tried to keep our prices at least 20% lower than Performance Products on most items. We are also working right now on a new pricing structure that will coordinate carefully with our suppliers to make sure our prices are continually in line with our costs.

The bottomline is that there are (and will be) many of these small "front" businesses out there. If everyone decides to purchase from these fellows, then full-service places like Pelican will indeed go out of business (or diversify and offer less selection). Fortunately, not everyone out there shops on price alone.

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-29-2003, 01:18 AM
Porschephanatic
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I usually buy from Pelican. Sometimes they are lowest. I've had issues [incorrect info/bad packaging/incomplete shipments] with Vertex and probably won't order from them again."

todd
86 cpe

My exact sentiments, Todd. Wayne's da man!
Old 06-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Good post Wayne. Your website is by far the most informative and has the best selection in parts.

If those other dealers really are dumping parts at 7% margin, then I wouldnt blame you for being annoyed at this. Ive been in this situation before, trying to compete with those that just dump stuff out at such small margins, and its no fun.

In my industry, its common to see a MAP (minimum advertised price) to even the playing field. This helps...but apparently its not used in the auto parts industry.

Thanks for your post, youve given me something to think about for next time I purchase. As you know Ive bought a number of items from you recently and your service and advice has been excellent.

With my car needing so many "little parts" that add up to big $...I dont think you can blame me for shopping around.

An auto repair shop once told me "people who cant afford these cars, shouldnt buy them". I disagree with that. This is America, and we can drive whatever we want.

The fact that we DIY with Porsche repair as much as possible, often using your books (which are great) is a testament to the overpricing that these repair shops charge to work on these cars.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:09 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Of course...the garages will give you the sob-story about all of their overhead, labor and tools that they have to buy.

Spare it. They are in business to turn a profit like everyone else...however $1900 for a clutch job that doesnt even include a new cable...is ridiculous.

Thank God that Ive wised up since then.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:17 PM
P-on
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wayne

Hate to pick on you dude, since I've ordered from you several times...but I called, and emailed you directly, about spending 3 large on a scissors lift and never got a response, return email, or return call. When I called back one of your employees asked me why I wanted to "spend so much on a lift". Wow. The lift has been secured from other sources.

So overall you're great, but there are weaknesses as every vendor has at times. Your books are the best however. Do one on a 944 projects.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Schuey
Racer

Great point Wayne...although we all like to save a buck, your books and your BBS already do that for us...as I tell any pcar owner out there...visit pelicanparts.com and rennlist.com, these sites to me are priceless...

on another note...I have NEVER had any issue with Pelican, PLUS they stand behind what they sell...and if I have a question, I get it answered...can't ask for more...

Kevin
Old 06-30-2003, 04:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Some additional comments:

"An auto repair shop once told me "people who cant afford these cars, shouldnt buy them". I disagree with that. This is America, and we can drive whatever we want."

There is some truth to this statement. A *lot* of people buy a older 911SC for $8K, and expect to keep it running for $200/year. They don't realize that the cost of the parts are so high just to do the proper maintenance. Then, they put off the work, and further let the car deteriorate. This is actually the reason why a lot of these older Porsches are out of disrepair. Old VW bugs are typically maintained much better by their owners because the parts can be had for very cheap. Because these parts are manufactured in low quantity - the prices are much higher.

"Hate to pick on you dude, since I've ordered from you several times...but I called, and emailed you directly, about spending 3 large on a scissors lift and never got a response, return email, or return call. When I called back one of your employees asked me why I wanted to "spend so much on a lift". Wow. The lift has been secured from other sources."

My employees can indeed be buttheads once and a while. Unfortunately, they are human and are impossible for me to control and train completely. As for email, I'm about ready to jettison my personal email address and not answer email any more. I don't know about you guys, but I get about 800 messages a day, with about 98% of that junk. Real messages get caught up in the junk, and get filtered out. Email is just not a very good effective method for communicating anymore, I'm sorry to say. Even my spam filters don't work that well anymore.

Thanks for your support everyone!

-Wayne
Old 06-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

"An auto repair shop once told me "people who cant afford these cars, shouldnt buy them". I disagree with that. This is America, and we can drive whatever we want"

I should have mentioned that this was said to me, in response to my questioning the quote on a $2500 clutch job. Its an arrogant statement by the repair shop, IMO.

Much less costly to purchase the parts and your book... get a friend to help and DIY.

You may want to set up a text box on your website where people can just fill in their question and press send.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:21 PM
classic911
Instructor

Hey Wayne, when is a 915 tranny rebuild book along the lines of the engine rebuild book coming?

Quick Reply: Best Prices on Parts?