Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Yet another Oil Overfill Post

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005 | 12:20 PM
TargaFan
1st Gear

Default Yet another Oil Overfill Post

I did a scan of the forum and saw the good advice on dealing with the apparently common problem of oil overfills. Wondering what people would suggest that I try to get the offending shop to do if you were in my shoes. To be honest, I don't think I want them touching my car again, but if the air intake manifolds need cleaning or something to that effect, it should be on their nickle, not mine. The airbox does not have any oil puddles, just a light oil sheen.

Here is my story -

Been overdue for an oil change on my 87 Targa for a while and my regular shop was closed for the holidays. So I went into another shop I had heard good things about "just to get an oil change". After I picked up the car, I noticed something wrong about 10 miles down the road when the engine warmed up and started sending out plumes of white smoke. I pulled over, checked the oil level and sure enough it was well over upper mark on the dipstick. I turned around and went back to the garage where they proceeded to extract 3 QUARTS of extra oil (and they claim to work on air cooled Porsches "all the time"). After a feeble appology and the diagnosis that "it shouldn't have caused any harm" I left.

Any thoughts on if driving approximately 20 miles with that much extra oil would cause any harm? Certainly not going back to that shop for any further work and I am going to check the level myself from now on - even if Wendelin Wiedeking does the oil change himself.

Thanks for any responses
Old 12-27-2005 | 12:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi:

Honestly??? If I were you, I'd recommend that you perform all of your own oil changes. I would have misgivings about patronizing any shop (working on 911's) that doesn't measure oil capacity correctly when doing an oil change.

It will do no harm except to the cat & oxysensor whose lives will be shortened somewhat. I would recommend that you use a product such as Techron or LubroMoly to help remove some of the excess carbon buildup from the bout of oil burning. I'd also have your regular shop check the function of the oxysensor to make sure that its cycling correctly.

Quick Reply: Yet another Oil Overfill Post