New to Renlist, New to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:51 AM
paslantnose
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Renlist, New to Porsche

Hello folks,
Being new to renlist and having just aquired my first Porsche I as expected, have a few questions.
My new toy is a 1972 911s with slant nose conversion.
It is a bare to the bones car with all manual ammenities.
My first order of biz is to inquire as to adding power brakes to this car (is it proper to call a porsche a car?).

I know it is old BUT, I like old things and it sure does look GREAT!
As a life-long mechanic and automotive enthusiast, I intend to learn this car inside & out on a very personal level.
I will be doing all maintenance and repair as I do not trust anyone else to do it right.

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Karl
Old 12-18-2005, 12:18 PM
paslantnose
8th Gear

Maybe I have come to the wrong forum for porsche ???
My appologies to all.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:37 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Rennlist, Carl. This is the right forum.

The Search feature here will answer many questions you might have.

Post a picture . . .

Ian
Old 12-18-2005, 12:49 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Morning & welcome aboard - we're a little slow on a Sunday AM!
- your car has power brakes (Euro style), they work great & there is no sensible "power" upgrade for more boost (one can go to softer pads if the effort is just too much for your taste) - have the whole sys checked out, in case you have a failure.
- biggest tip (if you haven't already) is to read the Rennlist FAQs & search for topics you are curious about. also, consider putting together a library of books on your 911 - Frere, Anderson, Haynes manual, etc.

In addition to getting help on the web, I think it is worthwhile to hunt down an early 911 expert for a consultation / walk around examination of your car. it's worth the $s & will provide context to a lifer mechanic like yourself. the '72S is a fantastic car (& quite valuable, stock) in its own right, the slantnose conversion may have introduced issues (aside from hurting value - but you probably don't care about that) that should be addressed.
congrats!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:52 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome aboard. A pic is of course mandatory.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Rennlist community is great and there is a ton of great information in the archives. If you don't find what your are looking for with a search or would like some clarification don't hesitate to post your question. The 911 board is not as active as say the 993 board but there are a bunch of very knowlegable people who do post here. You might also try the pelican board since it seems to be a little more active when dealing with the older 911's. Goodluck with the car and I hope you decide to become an active participant since you are a life long mechanic and I bet once you start getting your hands "dirty" working on your car you will have plenty of information to contribute.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:53 PM
NiATE
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Welcome aboard Karl! I also just purchased an early 911; '71 E with a '73.5 T motor in it. I love the purity of the driving experience and the general simplicity of the mechanicals (also a home mechanic who trusts no one). And like you, I find the brakes greatly lacking. All the pedal pressure in the world will not give a belt-straining stop. I know these cars are capable of more so a brake system rebuild has started. The MS was the first to go as it had obvioulsy started to fail. (Personal note: don't rush the fittings on these. PBBlaster and time will save you more time in the long run!) Next up are disks and pads. Not knowing what's on there, I intend to start fresh and work my way to MY solution. If that doesn't fix it, I may resort to rebuilding the calipers or even replacing them entirely. Any additional input is greatly welcomed!!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:27 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Welcome and congrats! must post pics!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

If you find the braking system is in good shape and still are not happy with the feel I would suggest you consider upgrading the front calipers to one of the 4 piston Brembo kits that are made to fit your car. I trust my brakes so much more after this upgrade. Not inexpensive to do but worth the expense.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:40 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

paslantnose, NiATE, if the brakes aren't satisfactory on your cars for the street, one of two problems exists... either your brakes are in poor condition and need to be refreshed, or you have weak right legs If you're not using the car on the track, there's really no need to upgrade the brakes.

These are light cars, the brakes are good and modulation is EXCELLENT in the older cars. The feel of the old 911s is different to most cars you've probably owned, the clutch pedal is stiff, the brake pedal is stiff, the gearbox requires some finesse, and the steering is very sensitive and has great feel. These aren't boxsters, they're men's Porsches. That's why they're so fun to drive!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

hey paslantnose,
Nother slantnose. Mine is also slantnose and I am also new to P eventhough even though I read from this board form time to time.
Welcome aboard.
Post some pic when you have time.
Thanks.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Welcome PA, I agree with the thought that you should just stick with the system you have, rebuild it with new parts and put in some good pads. Even for light track use the standard brake system is more than adequate. Upgrading the MS and going to bigger calipers is overkill unless you intend on adding a lot more power IMO..
Old 12-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

Before any expensive brake upgrades, have you thought about just bleeding the brake system and putting in a better set of pads? A refresh might by all the brake system needs.

Marc
Old 12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Welcome to Rennlist paslantnose!

When I bought my '71T last month, the first thing I did was flush the brake fluids with ATE super blue, change the pads to Ferodo, and replace the brake ines with stainless ones. The difference was day and night! IMHO, unless you've upgraded your motor, the stock brake system is more than adequate for street use.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:30 PM
paslantnose
8th Gear

Well, i'm overwhelmed at the responses guys.
I have not picked the car up yet, it's sitting in Arizona.
The previous owner told me it did not have power brakes and that was why I asked about adding power to the system.
The car will without a doubt recieve a complete brake overhaul and probably upgrade to SS hoses before I make any moves towards bigger caliper/rotors.

I appreciate all the help and the warm welcome !

P.S. how do i post a pic of it?

Quick Reply: New to Renlist, New to Porsche