Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

anyone know how much it is to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 02:01 AM
carrera77
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know how much it is to...

fix the front vallance under the front bumper its pushed in in the middle the car does not have a chin spoiler. does the dent affect anything ? (besides aerodynamics)? its on a car im looking at, and im sure at least one of you has run into one of those cement parking things or a curb
Old 12-06-2005, 02:35 AM
mellowyellow
Intermediate

I ran over something on the freeway once and it dented the license plate frame as well as the valance. I got lucky and pulled on the valance hard enough and it just popped out. I hammered
the bottom lip back to a 90 degree. I am certain you can unbolt the whole thing and a body shop and hammer it out and repaint it.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Painting a civic bumper can be as lowed as $150, not bad quality. A BMW can be as lowed as $400 or might be $750. A P 911? hoho.. I will take a class learning how to paint a bumper myself :lol:
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

As for difficulty in a DIY situation, removal and physical repair are easy on the list, repainting it (if necessary) is considerably more difficult for a DIY project. So much so, that I would caution against even trying to match a factory color just by the paint code. It will not match once re-assembled, almost guaranteed.
I would investigate a bit deeper into this damage though, because the wrong answers to the following questions will very likely add more $$ to the repair costs.

1- Does the car have a REAR wing? If so, then it HAD a front spoiler prior to the damage. Simply replacing the front spoiler will run $250-$300 FOR PARTS ALONE!
-- IF THE CAR HAS A REAR WING, IT MUST HAVE A (REPLACEMENT) FRONT SPOILER TO MAINTAIN EQUAL DOWNFORCE AT HIGHER SPEEDS!! --
2- There are additional expensive components hiding behind that lower valance, (AC fan, wiper washer pumps, battery, fog lights, etc. just to name a few) that may have been damaged.
Inspect these areas closely. Not because you are nit-picking the car, you need to look closely to properly evaluate the best way to repair EVERYTHING that was damaged.

Assuming that it just needs a new spoiler and a 'simple' "pound & paint", you might be spending over $500 to get it done right.

I'd rather replace the valance than have some body shop idiot put 10 pounds of bondo on it anyway.

Given the option, I will ALWAYS choose to spend my $$ on a new part instead of labor to (maybe) repair the original.
+++

Quick Reply: anyone know how much it is to...