Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Good Shifter Replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
wheatdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Shifter Replacement???

Something kinda went "TINK!" when I downshifted from 5th to 4th. Now, if I'm not careful, I nick reverse when doing the 5th to 4th thing. Scary sound. Now, I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to repair the reverse lockout dodad which I assume is broke, but would it be a good time to upgrade to Wevo or a comparable, expensive shifter?? Is the Wevo's $500+ price tag justified or should I repair the stock unit and add a Seine Systems gate shift kit for mucho less ducats?

Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I wouldn't hink a shifter would be high on the problem list in NOLA right now, but.... I'd just rebuild it. If it is an early one, I'd get a late model one and rebuild that.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

I just replaced all my shifter bushings and coupler on my 83 SC (915 transmission). This required adjustment at the coupler, and if not adjusted just right, you can nick reverse even with the reverse lockout tab working. Some trial and error with the adjustment has resulted in "nick free" shifting. I am a newbie, and by no means an expert, but would suggest looking into adjustment at your coupler.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 PM
wheatdog
Intermediate

I probably am jumping the gun a bit here. I haven't had time yet to inspect the shifter or try adjustment. Good project for this weekend. I've gutted out the house and my trailer is in place so now its "Carrera Time"!

Mike
Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 AM
redtdi96
Instructor

simple a shifter adjustment. The adjustment is SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO critical. I use a micrometer to measure my shift adjustments. I would reco a OEM Posche short shift kit.

You get awesome 915 shifting if you are Extremly patient on adjustments. Well no 915 shifts awesome, but it gets almost to good!
Bruce
Old 12-04-2005, 03:57 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can testify to Brian's and Bruce's comments. I had similar problem(s) a few months back and it is now mostly OK although I still have to exert some caution for the 5th to 4th change - probably a fine adjustment that remains to be done. Some day I am planning a session with the local Porsche mechanic and if it comes to that we will get the micrometer out.
Here is the link to my earlier thread if that can help (with good contributions from Bruce and Bill Verburg:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=33171
I think in my case it helped to replace the 2 springs that kick back the shifter away from reverse and anotyher gear (I cannot be more technical as I do not know exactly how and where).

Good luck
Chris

Quick Reply: Good Shifter Replacement???