Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

heater question...please read

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater question...please read

how many heater systems in our car? I have a 87 911.

If the red little handle(s) is pulled, the car is extremely hot when it's driving. The faster the car run, the hoter it is. But at idle, stand still, thee is no heat at all. When I turn on the heater (fan), cool air blow out, no heat at all. It seem like the hot air and the "fan air" are totally separated.

A/C is another issue.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:36 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Two things propel heated air. One is the blower back in the engine compartment. On a Carrera, the other is a set of kick panel fans. They're located down by your feet, along the outside edge of the footwells. If you don't hear them blowing, then your problem is explained. You're only getting hot air propelled by the rear blower, which is engine-speed dependent.

The blowers in the dash are for AC and fresh air. They're part of a different system.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clarify what Jack is saying, on all cars (that have any heat at all hooked up), the fan attached to the alternator will push the heated air through the heat ducts and varies according to engine rpms. The stock Carrera's also have a blower in the engine compartment (engages when you pull the red levers) along with the two kick panel blowers. What you are describing sounds as if none of your auxilary blowers are working and only the alternator fan is pushing the hot air through. Since I've backdated my heat, that's all I have, which means I have almost no heat when the car is idling (but is still very sufficient). If the heater blower in the engine compartment is disabled (removed, fuse, etc.) your footwell blowers will not operate either unless other mods have been made (which is not unusual). You might want to do a search on 'heat backdate' for more info...hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:01 PM
redidrum
Pro

MAKE SURE THAT THIS FLAPPER VALVE IS NOT STUCK OPEN OR CLOSED TOO. THANKS TO FELLOW RENNLISTERS HERE... IF STUCK OPEN, YOU GET NOT ENOUGH HEAT, CLOSED, AND YOU GET FULL HEAT ON. TRY SPRAYING WITH PENETRATING FLUID OVERNIGHT AND THEN A SPRAY LUBRICANT. LOOK FOR BROKEN CABLE. FIXED MINE. MAY BE DIFFERENT ON YOUR YEAR. --- RON
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2005, 07:17 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

umm.. let me make it a little technical reading.

No fan:
when driving, red handles pulled up, hot.. very hot.. Except the ports at the end of the middle console.
This is without turning fan on.

Idle, no heat at all.

With fan on: hear fan running strong.
everything the same as above (no fan). AND the fan is blowing only cool air. So if red handle is down, only cool air come out. If red handle pulled up, yes there is hot air but I can feel the cool air is is blowing out mixing with hot air.

which mean. red handles = hot air
fan = cool air.
No Cold A/C air but I have not tried A/C detail.

What am I missing here?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:52 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be honest, I have yet to figure out how to get my heater to work. I have the pic redidrum posted above saved so I can check on it when I have the time. But the controls just seem incredibly confusing as well.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:48 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Base on Jackolsen, I think mine is working correctly. The red handle pullers are for the rear (the real heater). The front console control the front fan, no heat, air only.
Thanks guys.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey again rnln! If you have virtually no heat at idle, it sounds as if your auxilary blowers may not be working. You'll still get plenty of heat while driving however if that's the case.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:29 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the kick panel that is above your left knee. There are Phillips head screws (3 or 4 ), two are right where you can see them when you open the door. Another is down lower by by your left foot area. After they are removed, you will see a black motor and some tubing. On the outside of the motor, there is a fuse (spade type - not like in the fuse box up front). Remove it and if it's bad , replace it. Do the same on the other side. If the fuse is good, then remove the motor and check it using the car battery and a couple of homemade wires about 5 feet long. Hook them to the appropriate connections to see if they get power. If they don't , then the motors are bad. I had bad motors and fuses and had to buy new motors. I thought of changing to a different motor, but couldn't find any suitable....so went with OEM replacements. This is very easy to do, just takes a little time and think about what you are doing.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:18 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

KC911,
yes, that is the case.
The fan is blowing hard/lound but only cool air, no heat. Yes, still get heat while driving but I can feel that the fan is blowing cool air addition to the normal hot air.

Spider,
yes I did and I will again.
THe motor is round as almost the cylinder shape right? I did checked the fuse somewhere there and it was still good.
Base on what you and other people writing here, I think the motor is still working (on driver side. I ahve not done anything on the passenger side yet). I have a feeling the motor/blower is ok but the hose is opened up somewhere.

Thanks guys. Getting to the ground again.

Quick Reply: heater question...please read