Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to the 911 scene, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005 | 01:02 AM
///m3ut
3rd Gear

Default New to the 911 scene, have a few questions

Ive always been a big BMW guy, and have an infatuation with the M3, specifically the e36. Im also a huge fan of german engineering and any car with a porsche, bmw, or audi badge on it. Ive recently come across what i belive is a 911SC that im interested in buying. Im not too familiar with the older porsches and i have a few questions about this one. Here is the link on autotrader:911 widebody conversion

My questions are as follows:

1. this is a 911SC correct?
2. The engine is original, so its making about 180hp 227 lbs of torque?
3. what widebody kit is that and how does it look quality wise? i know its hard to tell from the pictures but to me the wheel gap seems a little big in some places.
4. what kind of headlights are those?
5. what am i looking at in maintenance costs for a car like this? it has a completely rebuilt engine and tranny and new interior.

Excuse the noob questions, like i said im fairly new to these early 911s and id like to learn as much as i can. Thanks alot guys!
Old 11-30-2005 | 01:56 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

1. It is a 911SC if it is a 1981 model.
2. 180 hp is correct, but an SC had 180 pound-feet of torque.
3. It is a Strosek kit, or one that mimics the Strosek kit.
4. The headlights are part of the 'Strosek' look.
5. I would insist on both receipts of those rebuilds and also the name and phone number of the person who did the work.

The asking price is roughly double what I would guess the market value of that car is. And anyone who 'completely rebuilds' an engine and tranny but then uses a wooden stick to hold the car's hood up (because a $15 hood shock is just too darned expensive?) is going to require a lot of buyer's diligence, in my opinion.

I'd think that this car would be an easy pass for anyone not specifically looking for a Strosek look car.
Old 11-30-2005 | 02:55 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

MRUT(?), what’s great about mankind is that we see the beauty through our Mom’s given original specification eyes. Just like wine, women, and song,. Porsche is in the eye’s of the beholder,. Everyone is special, and very special car has a story to tell, add a little music, get out onto the dance floor,. And every rock’n roller will be dancing to a different dance step!!
Long live individualisms, and dancing shoes!! Own a real 911, repost next year, tell us then, and good luck, check my site,...I'm at 964 land,... Marc
Old 11-30-2005 | 06:33 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

hey,
I use to have and E36 non-M with some mods and loved it. M3 also use do tbe my dream car. But since I drove 911, even old, I love it much more. Now I have an 87 911 I feel like I want to punch it almost all the time.
For $20k, if you look hard, you can find a nice 87 to 89 carrera, the best years people here would recommend you.
PS: that body kit look real nice.
Old 11-30-2005 | 02:11 PM
///m3ut
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I'd think that this car would be an easy pass for anyone not specifically looking for a Strosek look car.
thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by MARC A. 964 C4
Long live individualisms, and dancing shoes!! Own a real 911, repost next year, tell us then, and good luck, check my site,...I'm at 964 land,... Marc
i think i follow wat you ur saying, im a huge prosche fan, but most of my knowlegde is in the 996+ field. Ive recently become a fan of the older 911 becasue it screams "race car"... and in a way says "screw luxury and status". i wasnt looking for anything particularly flashy at first, this one just caught my eye.

Originally Posted by rnln
hey,
I use to have and E36 non-M with some mods and loved it. M3 also use do tbe my dream car. But since I drove 911, even old, I love it much more.
my only reservation about purchasing the 911 instead of the e36 M3 is that it seems a bit lacking in power compared to the M. how would u say they compare?
Old 11-30-2005 | 02:59 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

There are big differences in power (and weight) with the pre-996 911's. Early cars got by with as little as 140 hp, while things had gotten up to 280 or so in the nineties. Most drivers would be able to get an E36 to outperform a 911SC (1978-83) or Carrera (1984-89) on a track, but that's partly because M3s are easier cars to drive. There's a tipping point in driver evolution where the 911's peculiar characteristics become its strengths, and the 911 will (generally) begin to leave the M3 behind.
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:16 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///m3ut
3. what widebody kit is that and how does it look quality wise? i know its hard to tell from the pictures but to me the wheel gap seems a little big in some places.

5. what am i looking at in maintenance costs for a car like this? it has a completely rebuilt engine and tranny and new interior.
.jpg's on the internet are almost impossible to ascertain what kind of quality conversion this is. It could be near perfect done to high standards, or could be a very poorly done conversion in fiberglass or poor metal work. This needs a close eye (meaning inspection in person by yourself and / or by a professional body person that is familiar with Porsches - as Jack states above).

If you wish to drive the car a lot (8000 - 15,000 miles per year for example), you can figure on $1000 to $2000 per year in maintenance and repair costs. These cars are aging...

The 911SC was one of Porsche's best 911 models with robust motors that can go for over 200,000 miles and more without major work. Tranny's are also long lasting with typical freshening or rebuilding happening around the 100,000 mile range.

Jack's assessment in price is something I would agree on as well. Modified cars typically are not worth as much as a bone stock one, but if someone is specifically looking for this look in a 911, the price might be worth it to them since it may cost more to find a decent donor 911, then do the body conversion to it.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 11-30-2005 | 04:13 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

You will be the one driving the car. If you were to buy a nice restorable 81 SC and do all the work this guy allegedly has done you would be in the car much more than 20K. I am assuming the work done on this car is absolutely first cabin in all aspects, if not I would RUN from this deal. Receipts, carfax, PPIs (maybe two) and a couple of knowledgeable, experienced Porsche owners to first hand inspect the car would be my first order of business.. look at several others too.
The car looks outstanding in the seller's photos!
Old 11-30-2005 | 05:15 PM
JBO
Instructor

I disagree with Jack on a couple of things. First, that car appears to be well done and in good shape so I don't think it is a $9,500 car, more like $14-15,000. Second, I spent about $8,500 rebuilding my mechanicals and still use a plastic rod to hold up the decklid, as I don't give a rat's !@# about hood shocks . But hey, that's me - my mechanic also said I should have him replace them - but why??! I admit I am very cheap and only spend on things I need or want, and I don't need or want any stinkin hood shocks!! PS - Jack I'll give you $15k for that old modified rig of yours - after you fix the bent bodywork, of course
Old 11-30-2005 | 06:40 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

the factory shock design keeps the hood from falling shut AND flying up (& what goes up often comes down) - like due to a strong gust of wind. a prop rod / broom handle may not "hold up" in the wind.
Old 11-30-2005 | 07:08 PM
///m3ut
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
There are big differences in power (and weight) with the pre-996 911's. Early cars got by with as little as 140 hp, while things had gotten up to 280 or so in the nineties. Most drivers would be able to get an E36 to outperform a 911SC (1978-83) or Carrera (1984-89) on a track, but that's partly because M3s are easier cars to drive. There's a tipping point in driver evolution where the 911's peculiar characteristics become its strengths, and the 911 will (generally) begin to leave the M3 behind.
ive heard this about the carrera, it has alot to do with the balance of the car correct? the engine being in the back and all...it takes a special technique when throwing it around the track. i have never driven a 911 on twisites or track, and have no idea what is involved in it. This is a stupid question, but are these cars fun to drive? Of course they are through the twisites, but how bout on the highway? hows the power to weight ratio? (granted its not a drag car...) Excuse my ignorance but 140-180hp just doesnt seem like much, even for a car so light.

I guess i can expect to spend around 2k a year on repairs. what about preventative maintenance? How much do you guys spend on average?

Thanks for your help guys, its very nice to see such a wealth of information and people willing to share it...unlike some other forums im a part of.
Old 11-30-2005 | 08:09 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi ///m3ut...my suggestion is: Buy Peter Zimmermann's book "The used 911 story"...read it 3 times...yes...the book is that good...easy to read 3 times...when you finhish it, you'll probably figure out what is the car for you...then you can start looking for a P-car...inspect and drive many until your heart tells "this is the one"...then get a PPI from a reputable shop w/ leakdown test! And don't forget to post pictures from your new Porsche!!!
Old 11-30-2005 | 08:32 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

FUN to drive!
Old 11-30-2005 | 09:26 PM
joey c
Pro

there is a big difference between bimmers and porsches...i had both,and the m3 is still a sedan(coupe)..the 911(87-89)is a raw race car(stock)..if its slower in a straight line,i dont care.the over all driving experience BLOWS away any bmw.(imo)..i would never go back.
i would also pass on the car you are looking at(again imo).for 20,000,an 87 or 88 with reasonable miles(85-90k) would be the best bet..
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:04 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///m3ut
This is a stupid question, but are these cars fun to drive? Of course they are through the twisites, but how bout on the highway? hows the power to weight ratio? (granted its not a drag car...) Excuse my ignorance but 140-180hp just doesnt seem like much, even for a car so light.

I guess i can expect to spend around 2k a year on repairs. what about preventative maintenance? How much do you guys spend on average?
M3nut:

With 911's, it's really not about the horsepower. It's more about the feel and feedback you get while driving the cars. A 911SC is about 2600 to 2700 lbs (wet) depending on what equipment is on the car (like A/C).

The '65 to '89 cars are quite raw cars as compared to more modern sports cars. The 964 and 993 feel much more modern. They have tangible increases in power and are quite quick, but are a bit more muted in feel.

In the 911's that I've owned, I can be having fun dawdling around at 30 mph in town on a nice summer night. I can be having fun just cruising at 70+ mph on the feeway, or, of course, carving back roads (where the 911 really excells).

On average, you can spend about $1500 to $2500 on maintenance AND repairs per year, depending on the car's use. Sometimes you spend virtually nothing one year other than for oil and gas. The next year, something major will need attention (either due to maintenance that is needed or something that failed like a clutch) and you'll have to dump $3000 into the car.

Quick Reply: New to the 911 scene, have a few questions