Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to the 911 scene, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JBO
Second, I spent about $8,500 rebuilding my mechanicals and still use a plastic rod to hold up the decklid, as I don't give a rat's !@# about hood shocks . But hey, that's me - my mechanic also said I should have him replace them - but why??! I admit I am very cheap and only spend on things I need or want, and I don't need or want any stinkin hood shocks
JBO, I agree that if you don't want to put new hood shocks on your car, that's just fine. It's your money and your car.

However, for maximum appeal, I think this dealer could probably splurge the $15 for a pair of front hood shocks and the 15 minutes it would take to install them. They should at least re-attach the front carpet that is off of the side of the trunk and take 35 seconds to trim off the portion of the engine sound pad that is falling down. Minor details like this help show the car could have been cared for. Not everyone is into details like this, but for little effort, this car could be 'that much more' presentable.

It is an attractive car on the outside and the interior looks presentable in the pictures. If it's solid mechanically and the conversion is a high quality one, it could be a $15k car to the right buyer. If she's a dog with mechanical problems and a shoddy conversion, it's an under $10k car...

Just my $.02.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Another thing to consider in that vintage Porsche are the electricals. By 1989 Porsche changed their electrical system considerably (within the 964 models) and adopted the newer fuse designs. Anything that old needs to have good solid grounds. Check on those. With a recent engine rebuild the seals (and there are many) should be good on and around the engine,--another source of frustration.

I have always advised people to buy the newest Porsche that they can afford in that each year Porsche offered something tangible from the previous year, and you have to decide for yourself whether it is worth the money. I think it is. The Carreras of 1984 through 1988 (inclusive) are very fine autos with solid engines, if not abused. I would avoid like the plague the 964 autos as they have some fairly complex (and thus expensive) things that can muck up the works (like a belt to a second distributor for the second plugs). Also, their Carrera 4 autos were just too complex (like the 959) and in time they switched to a much simpler design (executed in the 993 cars).

If I wanted one of that vintage,--look around the 1987-8 years. There are PLENTY of them around so only buy something with a documented history. Otherwise pass and keep moving.

Dan

Quick Reply: New to the 911 scene, have a few questions