Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Early X-mas present!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005 | 11:39 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Early X-mas present!

I just drove home my 78 SC after an engine rebuild necessitated by bending a valve and cracking the #3 cylinder at Laguna Seca a couple of months ago. Oh what a few months and couple of big checks can do for your engine.

What started out as a top end rebuild and fix what is broken turned into the typical let's get a little more hp out of this old motor. We sent to cylinder heads to Ollies to get polished. Replaced the old valve springs with Andial springs. A set of European SC P/C's was fitted with a set of 964 cams. The bottom end was split and completely inspected to include magnafluxing the connecting rods. I had to keep the stock CIS when my pocket book ran empty so my trusted mechanic put everything together and tuned it for reliable performance. Let's say that the engine sings from 3k to red line. There's no bump at 4k that the stock motor exhibited. The motor makes smooth power to redline.

I'm off to Laguna Seca for the next two days to get used to the new power and transmission (complete rebuild with a Steve Weiner sourced custom short gear stack and Guard LSD). I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face!
Old 11-30-2005 | 02:24 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Eric:

Nice to hear that you & your ride are "back on the track, again",...

Sounds like you have a real neat motor!
Old 11-30-2005 | 09:32 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Eric,
I really like your ride height. What have you done to the suspension of your SC?
Thanks,
Chad
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:06 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, thanks! The torsion bars are perfect. The gears are spot on and the LSD has done wonders for the car's handling under braking. Now if I could only scrape enough money together to get the PMO's that we have been talking about! I've got to get the shocks to you soon and get them re-valved.

Chad, the cars had the entire suspension looked over. Nothing dramatic or different from what has been done before. Poly graphite bushings, Weltmeister adjustable sway bars (that was before I knew about ERP and SRP), Bilstein HD and Sport shocks, custom alignment and lowered a bit. My avitar exaggerates the ride height as the shadows make it appear to be dropped to the ground.

I've got three days at LS this month to get used to the knew motor and light weight fly wheel.

Quick Reply: Early X-mas present!