Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is fogging engine required before storage.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 PM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is fogging engine required before storage.

I went ot eh website for Sta-bil fuel additive and they have a product called engine fog. Per their website any engine that will be sitting for more than a month should be "fogged". Has anyone done this to a 911, particularlly a CIS engine. Their site says that after about 30 days, any oil coating on the cylinder walls and such would be gone. This would fall in line with what I have always heard that was you shouldn't let an engine sti for more than 4 weeks without starting it. What harm would ther be to just make a schedule of starting the enigne up and letting her idle up to op temp., then shutting her off?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:49 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To circulate some oil before spring start up, just rotate the fan a couple of times by hand (by tool actually - and clockwise only). Then connect battery & you're go. Winter startups seem to be discouraged by all due to potential condensation buildup.

Ian
Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been storing cars for winter for over 15 years. I've never fogged an engine and have not had any problems when it comes time to start them in spring. As imcarthur states above, idling an engine every 30 days or so just won't get it up to operating temperature. Hence, you'll just introduce condensation in the motor and that's probably worse than the oil leaving the cylinder walls...(lesser of two evils).

I know fogging is more common with boat people and seems to be standard practice for some owners.

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: Is fogging engine required before storage.