Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is it OK to hold the clutch in on a G50 while waiting for the light to turn green?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
"I knew that Steve and I would disagree on something, some day!"
We live to reveal a contention between you guys. That's why there are so many weird questions from low-post members.
Weird questions is my specialty,...
Old 11-27-2005, 05:09 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never start with the pedal in on any manual tranny.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ronin: Just curious, when you say "start with the pedal in"..., do you mean when you start the car after it's been shut off?
Pete
Old 11-28-2005, 04:25 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Hi Pete

I never load the thrust bearing on a start. I'm not sure how it affects a 911 bearing's life but it's just something I never do.. A weekend engine with dino oil starting with the bearing loaded has to be the worst as per me wiping dino and synthetic on steel and watching it thin out over time.

meanwhile.. you'd get a kick out of seeing this car again. On my next ride I'm going to track you down.. it'll be good entertainment.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmm, from the Peoples Republic of Santa Monica to the Peoples Repub...

Here's one for you. If you save the T.O. bearing from an ever so slight premature failure, you'll spend that money on a new starter sooner! Remember, if you don't depress the clutch pedal when you start the car you are also "starting" (cranking) the transmission. That thick oil is loading up that poor starter in a way not accounted for by its designer. If you place the car in neutral and start it with the pedal released you're breaking BIG BROTHER'S rule of safety. All newer cars that I've driven require, by BIG BROTHER, that the clutch pedal be depressed to release a starter lock out. If I hadn't pushed in the clutch to start cars for the last 40 years (I was taught that way), that safety stuff would really be irritating!
Cheers! Pete
Old 11-29-2005, 01:08 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Hmmm, from the Peoples Republic of Santa Remember, if you don't depress the clutch pedal when you start the car you are also "starting" (cranking) the transmission.
oh yeah.. I know that.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:16 AM
M491
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On starting, I always push the clutch in AND have it in neutral. Mostly for safety reasons. Sometimes a gearbox can feel like it is in neutral but be in gear, and I'd hate to run it through the garage door on startup! Just seems safer to have a habit of clutching in on startup on a manual (and it's required on most modern cars, too).

On waiting at lights, I combine Steve and Pete's advice. I wouldn't ever just sit with the clutch pedal down. But, I anticipate the light, and push the clutch in several seconds before the light changes. I err on the side of pushing in early. I never push down the clutch and immediately jam it into first. I'd rather have the clutch down for 5-10 extra seconds than do that. But I agree that having a habit of keeping the clutch down for 60-90-120 seconds at every stoplight causes unnecessary wear on components.

That wear may not matter to those who wear out clutches quickly, but I easily get 80, 90, 100K+ miles out of a clutch, and that includes a good deal of city driving. So I need all the clutch related components (TO bearing, etc.) to last as long as possible.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:23 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Originally Posted by M491
Mostly for safety reasons.

I agree 110%.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Yes, I've been starting it & esp. my Fcar usually with clutch-in to save wear on the flywheel/starter as well & I usually park with a gear engaged. It's easier to start that way. Guess either way, some components are bound to wear & tear.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 AM
JBO
Instructor

I've noticed if I put it in 1st just before coming to a stop, then after stopping put it in nuetral and let out the clutch, it goes right back in 1st when the light changes no problem. If I take it out of gear and coast to a stop, it can sometimes be tough to get into 1st quickly when the light changes.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBO
I've noticed if I put it in 1st just before coming to a stop, then after stopping put it in nuetral and let out the clutch, it goes right back in 1st when the light changes no problem. If I take it out of gear and coast to a stop, it can sometimes be tough to get into 1st quickly when the light changes.
That's the technique I use....

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 427grips
Is it OK to hold the clutch in on a G50 while waiting for the light to turn green? Peter Zimmermann states in his book that you can do so in an earlier car without damage to the throw out bearing etc.. But can you do so in a G50 equipped 87- 89?

Raj

This is not a problem. The tranny is bulletproof and any comments about 'cable stretch' are rather unrealistic. I ran a Carrera RSR pressure plate on my 3.0 turbo and ran through a bunch of clutch cables because the pressure on that plate is extremely severe. it's not the tranny that's the issue,--it's the pressure plate pressure and the condition of the throwout bearing.

Porsche's are tough. Don't sweat this one.

Dan

06 997S Cab on order
81 911SC Turbo
77 911S
73 914-4
Old 12-01-2005, 09:22 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems]....FWIW, its VERY poor practice to hold the clutch pedal down while waiting for the light to change oin ANY car and the Carrera is no exception to that rule....
/QUOTE]

Got to agree w/ Steve on this one (like that's a risky position to take ), but that's what I've always been taught. Who wants to sit at a stop light for 40-60 seconds with the clutch in anyways?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

edgy01, hey Dan , this is Ron McAtee in San Antonio (Spider911). Do mean that old 81 SC with a Flippo turbo on it? My comment was meant that prolonged use of the clutch would strectch the cable. I know becaus I replaced a few on the old 69T and the 76 912E. Granted, the pressure plate is the culprit, but undue strain is a contributor. Are you still retired?

I'll send you an e-mail so we don't tie up this thread. Good to know your on Rennlist.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Hey Ron! I went through several clutch cables and then found one that didn't stretch anymore! Worked just fine on that special car.

Have ordered a new 997 S Cabriolet -- Gulf Blue (like Wann's 930).

Dan

P.S. I went back to work,--was getting bored.

Quick Reply: Is it OK to hold the clutch in on a G50 while waiting for the light to turn green?