Be careful with your Cabrio when driving with the full tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:24 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Be careful with your Cabrio when driving with the full tonneau

Just a note of caution for those who like to drive their 911 Cabrio with the full tonneau in place. I've been using it frequently when driving alone, as you can cover the passenger side while driving (kinda cool) and it is then easy to completely button up the car, top down, when parked. What I found recently when I finally put the top up, was the underside of the tonneau wore a hole through the exposed headliner! I think that the weight of the folded tonneau behind the driver's seat pulled the tonneau low enough to rub against the folded headliner. In the future, I think laying a towel or some other buffer over the folded top in that area would prevent the problem. The other cause of course, is that the headliner material is very thin to begin with. I covered the hole, at least for the time being, with black fabric tape across the width of the entire headliner area. Actually, it looks ok. Even with the top up, it almost looks like it belongs...

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
3X black
Old 11-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Giantman
Racer

Thanks Jim, I have been curious to try driving around the full tonneau in place. Does it exhibit any strange characteristics at high speed? I though it may flap around a little as air got under it?

Old 11-25-2005, 11:46 AM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't drive with it on much over 100 kph for significant periods of time because the passenger side fabric does tend to flap a bit. Mainly I use it when driving around town. One thing that helps is to not recline the passenger seat back too far. Having it up enough to create some tenson on the toneau on the passenger side keeps it from flapping too much. I've also gone placing a small towel over the back of the passenger head rest to protect it from the inside of the tonneau.

Jim
87 911 Cabrio
3X black
Old 11-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Giantman
Racer

Well when it stops raining here I plan to give it a go

Quick Reply: Be careful with your Cabrio when driving with the full tonneau