Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Okay, I swear I did a search on this already

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Okay, I swear I did a search on this already

But found nothing to help. How do you get the non-painted, aluminum part of Fuchs wheels clean? Mine are not chromed. I have tried Mothers Mag and Aluminum cleaner on them and see no improvement. There appears to be some faint yellowish-white spots and streaks on them, and NOTHING comes even close to fading them. Any suggestions? TIA
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i had my 88,i used to use varying grades of wet and dry sandpaper followed by metal polish.Your problem sounds like the anodising of the outer rim is worn in parts and letting the elements attack part of the wheel -hence the streaky marks.
Heres a non rennlist guide:-
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ish/fuchs2.htm
Old 11-21-2005, 09:38 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The non-painted part may be clearcoated. If they are, they have to have the clera coat removed so they can be polished. I have an extra set of wheels in the same condition and found they were clear coated. The ones on the ground are polished and clean up very well.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:49 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, you did try a good dish soap detergent wash & a thin coating of plain ole Vaseline right?

I think once it's stopped working, then you have to strip them & re-anodize, or polish or . . .

Ian
Old 11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

or... what?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:23 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Fuchs are not clearcoated. I agree with imcarthur except that I would never use dish washing detergent on them. Use P21s to clean. Then use vasoline. Rub it in well on a warm day or in warm place - it makes for a nice romantic evening by the fireplace -- just you and your wife and your wheels... Assure her they are clean when she mentions the Persian rug...

IF that does not work, then you can carefully treat the wheels by rubbing $100 bills all over the surface. It will take at least 4 or 5 of them... To rephrase, call Al Reed for a good job or Harvey Wiedmann for the best job (and most expensive). They will refinish them for you.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or . . .

Like Randy said. Get a stack of $100s ready.

Ian
Old 11-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

That wasn't $400-$500 per wheel was it?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 PM
nineoneone
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

All good advice, here's what I did to my 944 cookie cutters (have same plastic coating) I took a can of p.v.c. pipe cleaner, the kind you would use to clean the plastic before glueing. Find the clear at any home supply house in the plumbing. But you may only find a purple. Now before you guys go off on me. Take the daber and very carefully wipe a small amount on the rim edge. Maybe if you like try it on the inside of the wheel. It will curl up and come right off. Take your time because anything you get it on will strip. I plan on doing my Fuchs as well. You can even remove the black center paint with ease. Once I had removed the coating it was easy to clean all the dust and discolorations off the wheel. Again this worked the best for me, It is a plastic coating and the p.v.c. just cleans it right off. If the centers are painted (or coated) be careful if you don't want to remove this area. I stood the wheels up so the cleaner would run off down the tire instead of the inside parts. You won't believe how good this stuff works. If anyone has an old wheel to try it on first to see the results, you will be surprised. That's the cheap mans refinishing method. They still look as good as the day I cleaned them and I never resealed them.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
That wasn't $400-$500 per wheel was it?
nope, not that bad

Quick Reply: Okay, I swear I did a search on this already