Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'76 with and '86 engine - value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:36 AM
joon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default '76 with and '86 engine - value?

Hi To All,
Can anyone please help with a rough valuation on a 1976 911 Targa with a 1986 engine, and a steel slant nose conversion with brand new yellow paint? It was black before. At best I can say it is a driver and satisfactory running condition.
I have a chance to buy it. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2005 | 02:16 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Joon:

These cars are what's called a "Frankenstein" and they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Color changes take 15-20% of a car's value right off the top.
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:15 PM
JBO
Instructor

Steve is right (of course!), but I will add that there are good and bad frankensteins. It all depends on the quality of the workmanship. A good frankenstein that would bring top dollar (though he still would have to find the right buyer) would be Jack Olsen's BB2. I have also seen some very bad ones, with poor fitting fiberglass parts, electrical wiring that appeared to be done by a kid in shop class, etc. Stay away from those, which should be obvious, but a good PPI will tell the story.
Old 11-22-2005 | 07:25 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

The slant nose would scare me around today's SUV traffic. I prefer at least a set of headlights and fenders at bumper height.
Old 11-22-2005 | 08:07 PM
DanS911
Pro

Dittto all of the above, my.02.
As an owner of such a beast I can tell you I love my car and it has truly been a joy to own and drive.

I have a '76 Targa with full Turbo look body (although I mostly run with a duck tail now to save weight) and a 3.0 motor.
I can tell you that a '76 (nice and light) with a 3.2 in it would be VERY quick and a blast to drive if put together right.
As to the value that is very hard to say. Some important questions.......
Are there repair history receipts?
Who did the paint job and how good is it? Was there any rust?
How many miles on the motor and how much oil does it use?
Any other upgrades? Like suspension or brakes.
Post some pix for us if you can
Old 11-22-2005 | 08:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

If you want it as a track/street car it could end up being a lot of fun! With the widebody conversion (bigger wheel/tires) and that 3.2 its a great basis IMO. New suspension, adj. sways, weld in roll cage with Kirkey seats and 5 point harness... I can see it now!
Old 11-22-2005 | 11:27 PM
Jay H
Drifting

I agree with all that has been discussed above.

I'll take a stab at a value...

A nice 1976 Targa in original condition with good documentation and a well done rebuild on the stock 2.7 liter motor could be priced in the $10,000 to $15,000 range (though a $15k 2.7 car should be in perfect, original condition).

Let's start at $10k for a '76 Targa in nice shape. Reduce that value by Steve's above mentioned 10-20% for the repaint in a non original color. You're at $8000 now. (If the paint job is poorly done, I'd take off even more to get teh paint problems corrected.) The slant conversion probably ads no value if it's not a factory modification, or can detract from value if it's a botched job. Let's drop $1000 off the value of a stock car just because mods like these rarely ad value.

The 3.2 converstion, if done well with good documentation, most likely won't subtract value either since the stock 2.7's are known for having problems if left uncorrected. However, if it's hacked in or needs some clean up, I'd drop a few more thousand off. You state this car is a driver, so let's drop another $1000 off the price to fix up stuff that needs attending too.

We're at $6000 now. Probably not a bad price if the car is presentable and runs well. But, it's really hard to tell how this car should be priced since we can't see or drive this thing. If you are happy with a 'driver' type of car and can put up with flaws, then $6k could be a bargin to you. If you are after a show type car, then I'd steer clear of it since it would take far too much money to get it up to snuff and you'd be better off just finding a much better example.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: '76 with and '86 engine - value?