Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Floppy windshield wiper

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Floppy windshield wiper

I just got my first 1987 911 a week ago. I noticed that the driver's side wiper blade extends over the part of the windshield that curves sharply back towards the A-pillar. The distal end of the wiper is hanging in mid air over this area where the windshield turns back, with the rest of the wiper blade well adapted to the windshield. The wiper and the wiper arm do not appear bent, damaged, or worn out.

I figure that this is either (1) how the car is designed, or (2) the wiper blade is not the proper size (too long) for this car. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone around here with a similar car, so I am unable to compare my car to another. Can anyone shed some light on this silly issue?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,060 Likes on 756 Posts

My 78sc had the same issue, I think the driver adjusted it for better frontal vision. On mine it destroyed the rubber on the wiper. I undid the nut on thr wiper and pulled it off, put it back on the spline in a better location. forward vision is a little worse but I am going to do the reversal mod soon anyway, ( have them park on the passenger side. I think they are 13" but you better check )
Old 11-21-2005, 09:43 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the way the driver side blade is. The length is 13". All the 911's I've owned since 1967 have the same overhang. I would have thought that Porsche would have designed a blade to be shorter on one end to avoid that problem. I looked for a long time for some that were 12" long, but didn't find any. So we're all in the same predicament. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't do any damage.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It amazes me that with all the planning and design that go into these cars, they still come out having these wonderful quirks!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cowhorn,

Wow, one of my pet peeves!!! When I bought the car (used) the driver's side Bosch wiper did NOT have this problem. I then replaced the wipers with new 13" Bosch ones and, low and behold, the problem appeared!

The issue seems to be that the older Bosch wiper arms (I saved them) are more 'articluated' than the newer Bosch replacements. The older ones have much more of a 'curvature range' than the newer ones. I looked at swapping the rubber between the new and old arms but that was a no-go as the blade design is different (%$^#@!&*).

Feel you pain!

Barry
Old 11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Barry.

I am assuming from the picture of your beautiful 24-car that you club race or track your car quite a bit. Do you experience any significant movement, drag, or other problems with the wiper like that?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Cowhorn,

Nope, no Club Racing with this car yet. I was getting heavy into to SCCA Autocross (Solo II) until the big 'C' hit me last year. All treatments done & doing fine now though! I crew with a guy that's raced P-Cars for years in SCCA Club Racing and was fortunate enough to help take his latest car from 'A' to 'Z' as shown below!

Looking to do the Spec Racer Ford thing soon though! And, in answer to your question, I've had no areo problems with the wiper. Just be careful washing the car and walking around the left side! The 'sticking out' wiper can 'grab' you!!!

Cheers,

Barry
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Great pics, Barry. Glad to hear you are doing well. My wife is currently undergoing treatment (diagnosed in July), so I understand what it means to go through treatment. I hope she will soon know what you already know...what it means to be a survivor. All the best to you.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:17 AM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a replacement fix for that stupid drivers wiper arm too. At least my 911sc didn't come with that rediculous rear wiper I had on my 928s. Maybe, there is a different company blade holder that curves down. I hate how it lays there with the gap. I've adjusted mine up and down, no help. Good luck with the Big "C" now. I have two family members going through chemo and it is tearing them down quickly. Hang in there... Ron
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ron. My wife is pretty tough, but the radiotherapy has left her with some really bad sequellae. Chemo is no picnic for her either. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Cowhorn & Redidrum,

Yeah, it's no picnic but the results they get these days are phenominal! Best of luck to your wife and Redidrums family members. There is definitely much more light at the end of the tunnel now-a-days!

Good thoughts to you both!

Barry

Quick Reply: Floppy windshield wiper