Electrical Connection Interlocks on 1986 3.2L Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Electrical Connection Interlocks on 1986 3.2L Carrera

Folks,

I'm doing a bunch of things to my 911 right now (the weather is FINALLY cooling off!) with one of them being attempting to diagnose & correct a hot start problem. I've got a ton of diagnostics to do but am concerned about some of the electrical connections I'll have to disconnect.

Many of these connectors are made of plastic that is now almost 20 years old and have gone through countless heat/cool cycles. I definitely DON'T want to break the male or female portion of a connector in trying to get them disconnected.

Several connectors (Reference, Speed, Head Temp, Fuel Injectors, etc.) have a female portion that's surrounded by a metal wire 'clip' that looks like it may serve to 'lock' the male & female components together.

Is there any special 'procedure' required to disconnect these (i.e. place small flat-tip screw driver under wire and force outward while pulling on the female connector)?

I don't feel good about just pulling on the female end and hoping they come apart but don't see exactly what the 'wire clip/surround' does.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Barry
(See? I told you I could find something else to worry about... ;-) )
Old 11-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Barry: Remove those wire locks completely and the connectors will slip off easily. I think that everyone that I know has a different way to do it, I use a set of SnapOn picks, and just choose the one that works. Small needle-nosed pliers designed for fine work can also be helpful. Don't pry against the plastic of the connector, they will be fragile. I can't tell you how many cars that I've worked on, and found those connectors with pieces missing, etc.
Pete
Old 11-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Sir!

Barry

Quick Reply: Electrical Connection Interlocks on 1986 3.2L Carrera