Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brake line replacement - proper tool.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts
Default Brake line replacement - proper tool.

Some times it helps actually NOT to have the proper tool . Everyone was harping about the line wrench for the brakes ...yeah yeah okay. I didn't have one and I was terrified about busting the lines off so I sprayed them with penetrating oil. Never got a chance to get the right tool for a week so everyday I went in and sparayed " the project " with penetrating oil and used an old stiff tooth brush to take away the grime. By the time I got around to getting the right tool the fittings almost looked new ( after 30 years of corrosion you can imagine how they looked before. ) I cracked all the nuts off no problem and the car hard lines are perfectly in tact. I tightened them just a ittle so brake fluid wouldn't leak out everywhere while I am waiting for me new lines.
Incidentlayy I also used an old 10cc syringe and sucked out all the old fluid and crap aout of the reservior ( didn't want to push the crap through. ) Then I took off the reservoir and washed her up in warm soapy water , it looks like brand new now. It it sitting over my heating register now getting warm air to ensure it is totally dry before the remounting !and fresh fluid. I just know that if i have the right tool I would not have shown the patience needed with the penetrating oil and busted something .. I am sure there is a lesson there some where .. Thanks to everyone who nagged about the tool and the penetrating oil , and of course to Pete who rightfully talked me into replacing the brake lines ..
.. cheers...

ice
Old 11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad all went well.
Now do a final rinse on the reservoir using rubbing alcohol.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

cool.. I have some of that too ...

Thanks ...

ice..

oh by the way any recomendations on fluid ? I do not track the car or even use it as a daily driver but I have heard motul is good and I can actually get it in Canada.

thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 10:25 PM
yogi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the hockey stick being used to hold up your engine lid.

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 11-07-2005, 11:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

True Porsche Owner ingenuity with a bit of Canadiana thrown in !
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ice: My favorite fluid is Castrol LMA - works perfect in your year car. I'm glad that your lines loosened properly, without damage. That's usually the case when the hoses are original, but if they've been replaced already they often get overtightened. That's what causes the trouble. I can't remember the story regarding your master cylinder, if your new fluid starts to get dark shortly after your job is done you will probably have to replace it. When the master gets tired its seals start to deteriorate, which discolors the fluid.
Pete
Old 11-11-2005, 09:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Pete I will watch for that, but being the total optimist I am sure it will be fine ... the ricky part will be determining feel on tightening the lines but I think I will be okay.

Quick Reply: Brake line replacement - proper tool.