Cars needed for Grassroots Motorsports test story

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Tim Suddard
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cars needed for Grassroots Motorsports test story

Dear Rennlist:

We have Michelin proving grounds in Greenville South Carolina rented for Thursday March 22. We want to comparison test: a mid eighties 944 versus roughly the same year 911.We really want to conduct a scientific test to see if the 911 is worth three times the price of it's beleaguered brother. We will 0-60, 60-0, autocross and street drive both cars. I will do the testing, but you will be allowed to drive your own car (a lot) too. If the other owners are amenable, you can drive their cars too. The cars should be nearly stock, but can have minor wheel/tire shock, anti-roll bar exhaust type changes.
There is no cost involved (other than your own travel expenses), nor is there any payment (except a very fun day of driving and the chance to get your car in a national magazine). We normally buy lunch though. We will photograph your car in detail and then just have a casual day driving, testing and getting everyone's opinion on the cars. We have done dozens of these sort of test days. No car has ever been damaged and nobody has ever left without begging to get invited back.
The testing will start first thing in the morning and most likely last until late afternoon. To participate I will need: 1. Your assurance that; you can be there on time 2. that you can play nice with others 3. that your car is up to a day of driving. Obviously, we can't have people back out at the last minute and we don't want to test unsafe ratty cars. Please let me know if you want to do this and that you can commit.

Sincerely,

Tim Suddard
Publisher/Grassroots Motorsports
(386) 673-4148
<a href="http://www.GrassrootsMotorsports.com" target="_blank">www.GrassrootsMotorsports.com</a>
Old 02-26-2002, 01:54 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tim, you are killing me. This is the second time you guys have put out a request like this, and THEY BOTH HAVE BEEN ON THE EAST COAST!!!

C'mon man, throw us Californian Porsche guys a bone, would ya?

Tom
(lucky east coast bastages)
Old 02-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tim:

I've enjoyed Grassroots for years, so I'm pretty sure that you already know that no scientific test can determine whether the mid-80s 911 is really worth three times more than the mid-80s 944. That would have to be a subjective decision, as well as a matter of how money one has to spend, of course.

I had an '84 944, and later an '88 911. I autoxed, tracked, and streeted both. I'll spare you comments on their relative merits (wouldn't want to bias a scientist), but I too have noticed the current price differential. I think the price of a new 911 of that era was about twice that of a new 944, but the gap is wider now.

Didn't Grassroots buy a 944 as a project car a while back? I thought I remember a very nice white one. Maybe it was some other mag (I take about a dozen car mags).

I'll be looking foward to your test report.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:12 PM
frankd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Tim I don't have the right 911 for your test however after seeing your post here on Rennlist I thought I would let you know that you guys ROCK.

Great magazine!!! Down to earth the way it should be.

Keep up the good work. How about a GRMS test in PHILLY!!
Old 03-01-2002, 08:28 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
You should contact Martin Plummer at Revolution Motorsports in Greenville, SC. He is the best Porsche wrench in the area and probably knows where to get some cars to help you out.

Jason
Old 03-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tim, I am in Columbia, S. C., about 100 miles from Greenville. I have a 1982 911SC or I can help you find a different year 911.

i am curious as to why 0-60 times would be a comparison used for 1980s Porsche. I do not know of anyone who has bought a Porsche for these reasons. in fact, with the 915 transmission, if you do too many 0-60 runs you will tear up the transmission.

Quick Reply: Cars needed for Grassroots Motorsports test story