Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

replacing condenser blower motor help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005 | 12:19 PM
logg
Track Day

Default replacing condenser blower motor help please

Hi again, I 've got quite a noise coming from my 79 SC AC blower motor. How do you relace this motor ? Does the lines from the compressor have to be disconnected and the housing removed from the car ? I've located the box under the door in the trunk and looked it over for repairs but could not figure out the procedure for getting the motor out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jeff
Old 10-24-2005 | 01:04 PM
wwest
Drifting

I suspect that you really mean the evaporator blower motor but in case you do mean condensor then just remove the battery and then the blower motor is readily accessable. Sorry, don't have any experience with the evaporator one.
Old 10-24-2005 | 02:16 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

The motor is attached to the top of the box. there are clips on the corners
of the box that hold it on... remove the clips and pull the temp sensor, the long metal
rod looking thing out, maybe some black tar looking sealant around the expansion
valve. The top with the motor lifts off... be sure to disconnect the power to the
motor, a white two wire plug.www.vertexauto.com has good prices of the motor.
This is simple if you take your time, I hope this helps, I'm not that good at
giving directions !
Good Luck
Chuck
Old 10-24-2005 | 11:51 PM
rappalm
Intermediate

I pulled my blower fan out several years back because it was squeaking loudly......I cleaned the housing and the fan up, lubed it a little, put it back in, and it hasn't sqeaked since then.

Mike Rappa
87 Carrera Coupe
Old 10-25-2005 | 09:16 AM
logg
Track Day

Thanks so much, you've answered the question to the tee. I saw the clips you refered to. I'll try cleaning and lubing before purchasing a new motor. Thanks again
Old 10-25-2005 | 10:51 AM
rappalm
Intermediate

I think also that I needed to push the fan back on to the elec. motor axle a little closer to the base of the motor than where I had I originally found it at. Being lower on the axle will mimimize any blade imbalances that cause the squeal. Sorry about the bad memory, it's been at least five years since I did the work. I've owned my 87 for 12 1/2 years now!! (still love it) ;^)

Still love just starting the engine and just listening!! ;^)

Mike Rappa
87 Carrera Coupe
Old 10-25-2005 | 10:58 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I have had sucess with taking the motor out and cleaning and lubricating it. It only lasted
about a year. I had a 83SC that I did this on. You can backdate the heater so you won't
need the motor. If I had it to do over, that is what I'd do.
Good Luck
Chuck
Old 10-25-2005 | 02:32 PM
wwest
Drifting

For best efficiency the squirrel cage blower needs to be placed on the motor shaft as close to the enclosure opening as is feasible, away from the motor bearing. Any air gap in that area results in the blower "forced" airflow escaping via the opening.
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:27 PM
logg
Track Day

How to remove the clips without dropping into the well ? Do they slide off to the side or do they just simply get popped with a screwdriver ?
Old 10-26-2005 | 04:07 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I knew this question would come up !
These clips have caused many grey hairs. They are suposed to snap off, I was
never sucessful getting them off that way, I always wound up sliding
them off, even that is a tough job. You WILL loose one if not all the clips....
I did !!! I think I only had one on mine after all was done. I had the box apart
on my new car (89 911) and lost all the clips, I do not think you really need them,
maybe someone will chime in on just how important they really are. A good
magnet is very handy also. Hope this helps and good luck !
Chuck
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:19 PM
Brian M
AutoX

Did a major overhaul of my ac system last year. Followed the advice of one of the sages on the 911 email list who recommended tieing dental floss, or something to that effect to the clips prior to extraction (to continue the dental theme). Dropped a couple of clips during the removal process - not a problem, just pulled them back out. Of course, longer is better (never heard that before) with the floss, or else you'll be using a magnet to fish out the clip and the tie-off ;-). This works great on replacing hood shocks, and any other clips or what not that tend to follow unintended trajectories at the moment they let go. Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:31 PM
logg
Track Day

Thanks again for the info. I have already thought about taping the clips but that would not work if I have to slide them.

Quick Reply: replacing condenser blower motor help please