Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruf at Viper Days

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 07:32 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Ruf at Viper Days

Below was an entertaining article from a recent issue of my regional Porsche club magazine (Nord Stern). I thought you guys might enjoy it as well...

From the section "Nord Sterners 'Out and About':

Ruf at Viper Days

From Steve Beddor (Nord Stern Porsche Club – MN):

For a small club, Viper Days offers a first-rate club racing program: Well prepared Viper race cars driven by good drivers competing at famous race tracks and run by a very efficient and enthusiastic organization. Of all the Detroit iron, Vipers are my favorite, so when they invited me to race with them with my Ruf CTR-2 Sport for the doubleheader at Road America August 9 and 10, I did not hesitate to say yes.

I was surprised to learn that besides two classes for Vipers (GT1 for fully prepared race Vipers and GT2 for more showroom stock Vipers), Viper Days races also have a Porsche class. It turns out that when the Viper Days was first being launched, most of their instructors came from the Porsche Club. Bonds were formed, so Viper Days developed the Porsche Challenge as a way to race with their Porsche friends.

But in inviting me, I think they figured a 3,100 pound, showroom stock Ruf would be little match against their race prepared Vipers. Due to time constraints, I was only able to run one hot lap during qualifying, yet it was good enough to put the Ruf in third on the starting grid for the first race. At the green flag, I wasted little time moving to the front and began to build up a nice margin. But I don’t need to write Miss Manners to know how an invited guest should behave at someone else’s party. After the last corner of the very last lap, I pulled and waited for the 2nd place Viper. When he caught up, we had a drag race to the checker and it was surprisingly difficult to time it out so the Ruf crossed the finish line in 2nd place by only a nose.

For the second race, I opted to start from the rear and had worked the Ruf up to the lead within about 10 laps. It was not easy work as these Vipers are very fast through Road America’s high-speed corners. Then with a few laps to go, a full course yellow was called due to a Viper bursting into a spectacular ball of flames but the pace car was set out behind me. The chief steward then black flagged me to come into the pits so he could personally apologize for missing me with the pace car. While I was sitting in pit lane, the race went green and I went a lap down. Although I did not win the race, I had a great time and the Viper people are great and put on a wonderful event.

For PCA club racers who are interested in learning more about the Vipers Days racing program and their Porsche Challenge, check out their schedule and rulebook at http://www.viperdays.com. If you want to be invited to run with them contact Bruce via email….
Old 11-08-2001, 11:05 AM
David0514
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a CTR - 2? I am new to all this.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:22 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something like this (I believe):
http://www.weissach.com/automobiles/...s/993/993.html

Not as beefy as the Turbo R, but it's one stout 993.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:34 AM
J-RAD
Racer

This is a CTR-2: CTR-2

and the CTR-2 Sport: CTR-2 Sport
Old 11-08-2001, 11:44 AM
David0514
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you raced an 82 SC and did that well. That is impressive. Is your car modified other than being a euro?
Old 11-08-2001, 12:33 PM
J-RAD
Racer

No, no, no... I wish. My SC is modified but not THAT much. The guy who drove the Ruf (he actually owns 3) in this event is a local guy here in Minneapolis. He also wrote the article for the Nord Stern region of PCA monthly newsletter/magazine. I was simply sharing the article.
Old 11-09-2001, 04:47 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Ah, come on J-RAD. You know you're beating up on Vipers in your SC!
Shoot just the other day M. Schumaker was asking me for some pointers....

Quick Reply: Ruf at Viper Days