Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:15 AM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a free country.
Drive what you love.
Love what you drive.
I'm sure that thing would blow my 911E off the road.

(But a cute yellow VW bug is a chick car. A fast chick car. But definitely a chick car. )
Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redidrum
Well Y'all, I was having near cardiac arrest over gas prices and have always liked the new VW Beetles. Bought a 2001, Yellow, Fully loaded Turbo model for my Porsche 911sc to play with and to save my hospital visit. Traded in my gas hog 4Runner. The bug gets over 40 MPG so far went 75 miles on 1/8 tank!

Am I stll a real man for having a Yellow Bug? My Jerk friends/ ex- friends are jabbing me all day about how it is a girl's car. I love it so far. Has a lot of the same feel of my sc and german technology. It is all about saving money and having a fun car. Added Picture. Not sure on gas mileage yet...

What do you guys/ girls think?

Ron/ Manly Man
Cool car. Distinctive. I was thinking about a new bug but ended up ordering a black Mini Cooper (not even the S). Hope you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Last edited by DB_NC_95C2; 10-14-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Guys, I guess I hurt her feelings already and she started crying, Spewing Hot Fluid from the radiator. I guess I will be bolting on the $2500 upgrade soon. Once again, the non radiator 911sc gets driven to work and saves the day. VW has an excellent service dept. and I have the roadside assistance 24,000 mile warranty. They are picking up the car, fixing it, and delivering her to my house. Sounds like a radiator, thermostat, or water pump issue. Will cost me nothing. Anyone ever try adding some small spacers to the wheels to bring them out a little without having the stud attached type ? Thinking of lowering her too ? "Peace Out"
Attached Images  

Last edited by redidrum; 10-14-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny story involving this car. A friend of my father at work had just recently bought one. Was raving about how good on gas it was. My father and his friends at work waited until a day where had a full tank, whenever the guy went into the cafeteria on lunch they would top his car off at the local gas station (he always left his keys in his desk). They did this for two weeks. The guy was amazed... "I havent filled it up in over two weeks and im still at full tank!".
Old 10-14-2005, 06:03 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

our 2000 turbo beeltle has been a total POS - hope you have better luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You know, I've always loved VWs, but I've heard people complain about them from time to time. I couldn't count how many I've owned, my most recent being an '04 Touareg V-8, which replaced an '02 Jetta 1.8 Turbo. The Jetta I could not find fault with, the only problem it had was a failed cylinder coil, which I'm told was common due to lousy Bosch quality control. The Touareg, already two years old, 26K miles, has been fabulous! Yes, I've had a couple of early production warranty issues (a faulty smog related part, one piece of wood interior trim which started to crack, and a battery to starter wire had to be replaced), but the only out of pocket expense has been front pads & rotors. We tow a 4500 lb trailer with it, so I'm sure that hastened the brake wear to a degree. I've not owned a new beetle, but sure had a lot of the old ones - all great cars!
Pete
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This board is so kind. man, you post a picture of a yellow Beetle in most forums asking peple if it's a chick car, and you'd be crucified!

There are manly men, and there are manly men that drive chick cars. That, sir, is a chick car...fast or not! Any car with a flower "bud" vase as standard equipment in the dash is, officially, a chick car. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

I love VW's, too, and the little turbo must be a hoot to drive. Chip, intake and exhaust and you're well in the 200's.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
This board is so kind. man, you post a picture of a yellow Beetle in most forums asking peple if it's a chick car, and you'd be crucified!

There are manly men, and there are manly men that drive chick cars. That, sir, is a chick car...fast or not! Any car with a flower "bud" vase as standard equipment in the dash is, officially, a chick car. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

I love VW's, too, and the little turbo must be a hoot to drive. Chip, intake and exhaust and you're well in the 200's.
The board is so kind because those drawn to Porsche's in my experience are gentlemen(gentlepeople to those of the fairer sex watching in) and great folks.
I won't ask the 'chick car' question when I get the Mini, but when I was thinking about a TDi I did get a 'gasp' from a friend when I mentioned Beetle, he said 'NO, Golf maybe, not the Beetle' but the Beetle is a cool car, I'm just drawn more to the Cooper. I asked the salesperson (about 2 hours away, so I couldn't see in person) what he thought of the anthracite interior as opposed to silver. He said 'well, since you're getting all black exterior and interior, the anthracite would be more in keeping with the sinister appearance'. I almost busted a gut, 'sinister Mini' is an oxymoron, especially since it's not the S, no supercharger, no chipping or exhausting planned, just inexpensive fun commuting.

Good luck getting the Beetle's ills sorted.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
redidrum
Pro

I am starting to read the reviews and my head is spinning. Are those people just kids that have no mechanical ability or real people complaining about electrical issues, plastic interiors, oil pans cracking, and misc. complaints at http://www.carsurvey.com ??? I'll never sleep again! I just told the dealer that while he has the car to go over every damn recall and check any known problem is his mind. I guess all cars get a bad rap from some people. This thing was meant to be a to and from work commuter, not a money pit. So far the dealer is on top of it. Crossing fingers...
Old 10-14-2005, 09:00 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Total chick car. Wouldn't be caught dead driving it..... But to each his own. If you like it, that's all that matters....But you did asked.

FWIW, watch out for those running boards below the doors. It seems every VW beetle has big dents in those from cornering too tight in small spaces. Hope it works out for you, I have heard many POS VW stories, especially with the new beetle. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: BOUGHT MY 911SC A PLAYMATE