Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is newer better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:42 AM
16jake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is newer better?

Okay i know this car isnt all original but if everthing was done right and the ppi checks out would it be worth buying? I know going backwards in motors is bad but what about forward? THe 76 had the 2.7 which was known for problems so would this be good? this car looks absolutely stunning.

PRICE REDUCED! 1986 Porsche 911 turbo-look coupe on 1976 911 chassis. Black with black interior. All steel bodywork. Bulletproof 3.0-liter SC engine with ALL updates, SSI headers with stainless steel Dansk twin outlet sport exhaust. All-new interior with Corbeau sport seats, new carpets, headliner, lightweight RS America door panels, Momo steering wheel and shift ****. 6 CD changer in trunk. The car is lowered and has turbo tie rods, new Koni shocks, and newer brakes. Engine recently removed and all wires and hoses replaced. Too many new parts to list. 146K miles on chassis, approx. 80K on engine. Very fast. All records since 1995. The car is in great shape. You won?t find a nicer looking turbo-look for the price. A great first step into Porsche ownership. Have new baby, so it?s time to sell the car. Was $14,000, now $11,000 firm
Old 06-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
16jake, this sounds like a fun car at a reasonable price. The PPI will be very critical. The 3.0L engines aren't bullet-proof. They have a tendancy to develop cracked head studs - a costly repair that you should avoid. Make sure your PPI actually checks this! One thing I didn't notice from your description is whether or not the suspension has be freshened up. This car is 27 years old and the bushings may be in rough shape. I know they are on my wife's 73E, so I'm replacing all of them. A good PPI will let you know how they look. Finally, since you're in CA, you need to check on the smog issues for a 76 car. Here in VA, it would be exempt. Dunno about CA. Better not to be surprised, especially if their's some weird issues with you having an SC (newer than the car) engine. Good luck and I hope it checks out well for you.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A '76 that's not original is probaly a GOOD thing. There appear to be many positives to this ad...the 3.0 motors aren't bulletproof as Jim noted, but they are among the most reliable and certainly steps above the magnesium 2.7 motors. I tend to be a little leary of aftermarket body work because you don't know about the body shop that did the work (the factory did not offer a "turbo look" until '84), but the seller calls out all steel body work. Many of the important issues appear to be addressed, and the seller seems to know something about what he's selling.

Definitely get a PPI, but this one appears to be worth the effort/time/expense to look into.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:57 PM
16jake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at this car and it was fabulous. Everthing seems to be perfect. The man was not exagerating at all on the car it is as nice as described. And the body work was done very well and the mechanic who did the ppi said it was the best aftermarket jobs he has ever seen. Hoping to lock this one in. wish it luck
Old 06-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good luck! Keep us posted...

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Is newer better?