Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel Tank Level Sender Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Rhino
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Level Sender Problems

I have a 1987 911 Carerra. I noticed a couple weeks ago that the fuel gauge was not working properly. I found out that I needed to replace the Fuel Tank Level Sender. The mechanic (30 years experience) told me that he could not get the new sender in because it looked like the top of the tank had colapsed a little bit in the center which was not allowing the level sender to go all the way in. He did not know if there was a fix for this as he had not come across this before.

I also noticed that it looked a little dented in the middle of the tank.

Does anyone heard of this kind of problem and does anyone know if the small indent can be pulled out again somehow?

thanks

Rhino
Old 10-02-2005, 12:42 PM
dependencies
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you say not working properly,
do you perhaps mean reading incorrectly at the gauge, as adjusting the moving rheostat contact on the immersed sender unit might help
Old 10-02-2005, 04:00 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone loaded concrete blocks in the front trunk, i guess they collapsed the tank a bit. If you remove the tank, a repair shop might be able to push it out with compressed air. If not, you are looking at US$350-400 for a repro tank and ?US$700+ for an OEM,plus clost for schutzing and paint to make it look right. I'm betting it can be fixed. These tank repair shops are pretty resourceful.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Rhino
Racer

Originally Posted by dependencies
when you say not working properly,
do you perhaps mean reading incorrectly at the gauge, as adjusting the moving rheostat contact on the immersed sender unit might help
Yes you are correct. When the tank is full of gas, it reads half full
I tried that you suggested but it did not work.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Rhino
Racer

Originally Posted by DGaunt
If someone loaded concrete blocks in the front trunk, i guess they collapsed the tank a bit. If you remove the tank, a repair shop might be able to push it out with compressed air. If not, you are looking at US$350-400 for a repro tank and ?US$700+ for an OEM,plus clost for schutzing and paint to make it look right. I'm betting it can be fixed. These tank repair shops are pretty resourceful.

That is what I am going to try next.

thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 PM
zois
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem....except it was from the bottom. I either smacked a speed bump or the last tow I had when I broke a throttle cable did it....I ended up replacing the tank.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Level Sender Problems