Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Source for OEM speaker grill covers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Source for OEM speaker grill covers?

If not OEM, then an exact or similar match ? rear deck speaker grilles have cracked over 22 years, have replaced the speakers with Bostons but would like to replace the grilles as well. What's the most likely source for grills ? I apologize for already not checking Pelican or Automotion, but in previous browsing of the catalogs, I don't recall seeing speaker grills.
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on here for 'speaker grills'. There is (was) a guy in Texas that made replacement surrounds out of CNC'd aluminum. They are such an exact duplicate of the original plastic parts, that you literally snap the original mesh grills into the new surrounds.
I had mine powder coated black to match the window trim, etc. that I also had done at the same time.
+++
Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Related question - I also swapped out the original 4 speakers on my 83SC with Boston Acoustics. My original speaker grille surrounds are also cracked. In addition, the new speakers " stick out" of the openings more, not allowing the original grilles to mount flush. I just dropped the new speakers into the existing holes - same way the old ones came out. Should I have mounted them from the inside?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had very good luck with getting used OEM parts from PartsHeaven out in California. As long as you did not change the size of the original speakers, PartsHeaven should be able to help.

Here's their website: http://www.partsheaven.com/
Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I replaced the original speakers in my 84 as well. I had to mount the rear deck speakers underneath to gain the required clearance for the factory style grills. I was unable to re-use the front grills because hte speakers I chose has the grill 'built-on' as a single unit. They are Polk Audio 5.25s.
I was going to add spacers under the rear grills, but decided that it would detract from the incredible job that was done to make them nearly identical to the originals, thus they were mounted underneath.
+++
Old 10-01-2005, 01:08 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BRB-83-911SC
Related question - I also swapped out the original 4 speakers on my 83SC with Boston Acoustics. My original speaker grille surrounds are also cracked. In addition, the new speakers " stick out" of the openings more, not allowing the original grilles to mount flush. I just dropped the new speakers into the existing holes - same way the old ones came out. Should I have mounted them from the inside?
I just put the Boston S55S 5 1/4" speakers in the front doors. They sit in just like the OEM speakers, stock grilles fit them just fine, we must have chosen different front speakers ? (for rear I used the 4x6 Boston S75S , no fitment problems, just the cracked OEM grilles). There are surrounds that come with the front door round speakers, but they're not 'grilles' (i.e. they don't cover the speaker, they leave them open to grit and possible damage). I'm glad my OEM grilles worked fine with them. The surrounds are a bit 'fast and furious' if you ask me.... (see attachment)

BER: Thanks for the partsheaven link, I sent them an email

Dab Cobb - I had no luck with a search for someone that machines aluminum replacement grilles, thanks for the tip though
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Try this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...speaker+grills

+++
Old 10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
Thanks Dan, just sent Banker a PM!
Old 10-01-2005, 11:43 PM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
If not OEM, then an exact or similar match ? rear deck speaker grilles have cracked over 22 years, have replaced the speakers with Bostons but would like to replace the grilles as well. What's the most likely source for grills ? I apologize for already not checking Pelican or Automotion, but in previous browsing of the catalogs, I don't recall seeing speaker grills.
Thanks!
Looks like the part number for the factory rear speaker grilles may be 911.555.019.00.

Not especially cheap, but it appears you can order them through Pelican here, although you may want to try Sunset Porsche or other cost
plus dealers who frequently have better prices on relatively obscure factory parts.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 10-02-2005, 01:49 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took one of the speakers and a cover to several audio installers and matched up a pair that looked nice. Most shops take the ones they've removed and throw them in a box. The guy at the shop was very nice in helping me and once we found a perfect match, he gave them to me. To me that was kinda rare in todays world.

Quick Reply: Source for OEM speaker grill covers?