Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mr. Reliability 911SC beats Toyota again

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:38 AM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr. Reliability 911SC beats Toyota again

Well, My 4Runner broke again after slamming my brakes on the freeway going 70 mph. Some jerk was changing his tire in the fast lane! Blew out the r/h rear brake cylinder. My old 911sc has gotten me to work again when all else failed around me. My buddy Fred's shop is two blocks from my house. I just drop off the Toyota and walk home 2 blocks. Found out that I ruptured a brake line. This is the 4th time in 2 years that my baby has saved me and come to the rescue. All the guys at work can't stop looking at her.
Gotta love the reliability of our cars!!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by redidrum; 09-29-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Congrats!

Personally, I'm mixed this year (1st year of ownership), as the alternator went (replaced Alt & Batt concurrently). I've done a lot of little things this year, most of which would certainly fall under the "Hello - it's a 21 year old car stupid...", or the "But I'm in there anyway & may as well replace pre-emptively" categories.

I think the older 911's follow the Keep It Simple Stupid philosophy design-wise. Hard not to get to work when you don't have 5 billion electronic sensors & such waiting to fail on you.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
redidrum
Pro

Fred,

I sunk $7000 in mine the first year, but, now she's like new all around. Goes to show that if you buy a $13,000 car it ends up at a $20,000 car in the end or buy a $20,000 car and hope all the upgrades were done correctly. I'd rather do it myself to be sure on quality parts. You'll be okay in a few months. Most good 911s are $20,000 in my opinion. Don't beat me up on this! Just an opinion after owning 3 Porsches.

Ron
Old 09-29-2005, 01:53 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

No beating, believe me, that was the approach I took when buying my Cab; since I didn't know P-cars or 911's, I rationalized it was better to start with a more expensive car up-front than nickel & dime & be sidelined for long periods.

I paid $19.5k, which I gather was on the lower side for a good Cab at the time. Much of the stuff I've done I'd have done anyway - brakes, braided DOT hoses, exhaust mods, wheel bearings, roll bar, speakers / deck / sub, wheels & tires (bought some black Fuchs / snows & some MM Cup1's / Kumho MX), tune up & valve adjust components are sitting in a box waiting for me now). I still have a few minor repairs like the washer switch in the column to do.

As for actual failures / REQUIRED repairs, it was the Alt (req. tow), the clutch cable bracket failure (req. tow), DME Relay replacement (acting up, repl. fixed it), headlight, idle control valve (acting up, repl. fixed it), steering wheel bushing, etc.

Quick Reply: Mr. Reliability 911SC beats Toyota again