Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is a 911 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:51 AM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok from a young persons point of view. im 19 i have an 87 911, i bought the car off my dad a year ago with 174k on it i now have 195k. in that time ive blown a clutch, and replaced so many odds and end peices. that all added up quick, stupid stuff like plugs and wires, exhaust, tires, oil, the blower motor, i actually need a new one agin. little things break like a windo regulator, a seat belt buckle..ect

i drive my car everyday rain snow or sunshine and though i loved it at first now im starting to hate it. fixing these things arent cheap and ive come close to selling mine 2 times now. ive finally decided to keep it for good, i mean i love the car. but it can get kind of expensive to own at times. like everyone says its an amazing car, i personally love the way it drives but you have to be able to shell out some top dollars when it comes time to fix something

i persoanlly would save up more pick up a healthy 911 for like 10 to 12 grand and find like a beater 91 honda civic or something to drive everyday.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greenshoes3
First off, thanks for the sharp replies. I would give up alot of things to own a 911, they are the perfect example (IMO) of a sports car. I will have 2-3k after i buy it saved for repairs and other things that come along. I'm not going all out on racing it, just for fun. I only have to pay the extra insurance that it will go up after buying it, my parents pay the rest thank god. I don't have to rely totally on others to do repairs, me and my dad can do the easy ones. I can also put $200 a month into it if needed. Anymore input is much appreciated. P.s. I live in Washington State and am looking for 79-83 SC's
Yeh, if you're looking at SC's from those years you listed above, you're pretty much all set if you have the money saved. As far as I know, those are the most reliable and durable 911's to date. (Some guys here may or may not agree, I don't know.) My father had one, in fact, that he finally sold a few years ago, and it didn't need a full top-to-bottom rebuild until 310k miles. Bottom wasn't touched at all before that if I remember correctly, even after all those miles. Pretty amazing for a sports car. You just keep fresh oil in it, do all of the required maintenance on time, and you're pretty much set.

Before you buy, dont forget to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection to make sure you won't get hit right-away with any big bills. Clutch, etc.

Once again, good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:02 PM
rushSC
Advanced

911s are absolutely great cars, but if you have to get someone to fix something major on your car...You're looking at at least semester's tuition per visit.

I say wait a while and save up, then get one for your graduation (a 911 makes for a great present).

If you're on a scholarship, save up a little more, get a beater car, and then get the 911.

PS - none of us have mentioned things like insurance, so keep this in mind.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For sheer bang for the buck, spend $7500 on a nice early 944 Turbo and keep the extra for service and maintanence. Even stock they had over 200hp and could run with stock 911s of the time. True, it won't be the same feel as a 911, and the maintanence may actually be a little higher than a good 911, but they're better daily drivers (subjective, of course) and they do have a high quality feel to them. Making significantly more power in them isn't that hard, either. There are some great communities for the four bangers as well.

Wow...did I just steer somebody away from a 911?

Realistically, I'm just afraid a $10k 911 isn't going to give you what you're looking for. (i.e. more headaches than joy and love.) But I could be wrong...
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

greenS ....

i belongs to 993 forum, just sneaking around here see this young fellow looking for a 911 .. !!!

follow everyone advise and wait to rise enough money to get a 911sc in good shape ...
Patiente buddy !!!! patiente is bad and good ... Is bad to wait , but you will appreciate to buy a
nice 911sc a while later ... read and learn about these toys till you are financially stronger to afford the maintenance on one of them .... eloy

belive me ... 2 years will not kill you .. i wait 20 to get mine !!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
gene-o
2nd Gear

914 maybe? Looks to me like you can pick up very nice ones for 7-8k and still have some cash left over engine improvements, upgrades etc. Of course I'm 40 now and only now am I looking for my 911 but might settle for a 914 simply because I like the more visceral feeling they have.

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:40 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by greenshoes3
..... for driving to school every day, and for organized track racing......
Daily driver + Track racing = BIG$$$

IMHO, If you have very tight budget, you may want to reconsider using it for "racing". Racing a 911 is a thrill but will double, if not triple, your regular maintenance cost.

Good luck with your search, your car is out there.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:27 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PC2
Daily driver + Track racing = BIG$$$

IMHO, If you have very tight budget, you may want to reconsider using it for "racing". Racing a 911 is a thrill but will double, if not triple, your regular maintenance cost.

Good luck with your search, your car is out there.

yea thats my only worry when i race my car cuz its my every day driver
Old 10-07-2005, 02:25 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

To chime in with another "young person's" point of view....

I am currently 21, and I have a nicely modded 944 Turbo and an '81 SC for track duty. I have been extremely fortunate to pick up both these cars at very reasonable prices, and I have managed to find a very good job at school ( I drive a bus during the week, and do fabrication work on the weekends) It can be done, but you have to put your heart and soul into keeping these cars maintained properly. I am a huge stickler for maintenance, so whatever it needs, it gets.

On to the cars.... My first purchase was my '88 951, It it 100% street use, and I can honestly say it is one of my all time favorite cars. I have driven almost everything under the sun, including most new exotics etc. For my taste, a 944 turbo with the right upgrades is the best street car on earth. Maintenance can be tough soimetimes, but you just suck it up and do it. I do all my own work, so labor is not an issue.

For track use... RACING IS EXPENSIVE!!!!!!! I have just spent 2 years prepping my 911 for the track, I used it in drivers ed before that and the costs will give you a quick wake up call. I would not suggest using your daily driver on the track, except for the occasional drivers ed, or auto cross. The nice thing about a dedicated track car is if you happen to break it, at least you still have transportation. Like some of the others have said, I love the 911 on the track. No ther car is as much fun. Every time you go out its a different challenge. It is by no means easy to make one of these cars go fast, but when you get it right it's a feeling you can't describe. A 911 for daily use is not a bad idea, if you are willing to maintain them and keep these cars nice, they will last forever.

It's also not a bad idea gto pick up a $200 beater to drive in the winter slop, and when you have to spend a weekend working on your porsche!

Goodluck with your Porsche endevor, it is an addiction, but one well worth the effort.

Artie

Quick Reply: Is a 911 right for me?