Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stripped out mount that holds my H4's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Barclay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped out mount that holds my H4's

I know of the poor mounting design of the H4. The driver side never sealed correctly on the top. About an 1/8th inch gap. Come to find out that the female part on the car is stripped not the screw. Now what? And how do I get it to seal correctly?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:41 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem on my old 69 911 T. I took a nut of the same size as the stripped threads and epoxy'd it to the back of the stripped out hole and it worked fine. I used a pilot screw to hold the nut in place while the epoxy dried. Allow a couple of days to ensure it bonds well. Clean surfaces very well prior to using epoxy or another type of bonding agent. The screw aligns the nut with the existing hole so the new screw will align also. if you have a better bonding agent than epoxy....use it. Your other option is to have a back-up nut mig welded to the back of the existing tab. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

They make rivets that are threaded on the inside. They are a 'specialty' item, so probably difficult to locate through most locations (i.e. Home Depot, etc. does NOT carry them).
I'm pretty sure you can get them in metric sizes as well as SAE.
Just drill out the existing threads and insert the rivet on the backside of the sheet metal.
+++
Old 09-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Those pop rivets with threads are slick stuff. I used them to fix a worn out 356 seat one. But, for the 911 light, you can go to your local hardware store or Pep Boys and get those (I don't recall the exact name here) clips that have nuts already caged or part of the clip. They slide over the tab and you're done. Some just have a little twisted slit in the back for the thread part, some have full nuts.

If I find the name, I'll post it.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Hi Barclay,

I have purchased Rivet Nuts from McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search Rivet Nuts

I use the aluminum rivet nuts with the mandrel and insertion tool for mounting speakers in the doors with a blind fastner, for racecar uses and they work very well. It's a few dollars to get set up the first time, but you'll find uses everywhere.

Good luck.

Tom
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

speed nuts is one term, IIRC

Quick Reply: Stripped out mount that holds my H4's