Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Feedback on purchasing 1985 911 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 AM
ThePointman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. All of you have great points. The car does have a power sunroof. The current owner had a friend run the VIN for factory info and here is what was returned.

The VIN number indicates that your car was the 85th 911 built in Stuttgart for the 1985 model year
I'm not sure about the 340 code, it could be either you have a heated driver's seat (easy to tell) or it's not an option code at all -- not sure without actually seeing the sticker.
The 64F00081 is the engine serial number -- your engine is type 930/21
S2S2 is your paint code, and the color is called "Garnet Red Metallic" -- metallic paint finishes were an extra-cost option in 1985.
P12 = radio, Blaupunkt
383 = sport seat right, with electric vertical adjustment
387 = sport seat left, with electric vertical adjustment
401 = light alloy wheels
424 = automatic heat control (an interesting option, ask me about this one...)
650 = sunroof

Kind of kewl to see this information. Either way I have agreed to buy the car. I cant wait to take that first drive as a p-car owner.

As a side fact I think this conversation shows that prices seem to increase as you move North and East as mentioned above. Kind of interesting ...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
I purchased my 84 just over a year ago for (dare I say it!?) just under $12K. It had 100K on it, but no service records. I have put money into it, but not anything significant.
Is 85 supposed to have the G50, or was that new for 86? (My mind is rambling on again, because I think it is 86)
Anyway, this seems to be a bit too much for SoCal, but it might be a bulls-eye for the location.
BTW, I wish mine had sport seats, but I would not want to trade my sunroof.
The color looks very close to my "Ruby Metallic". Is there a paint code # somewhere?
I wonder if US cars had different names for the same colors as ROW vehicles?
+++
Ruby Red Metallic was only a color on 911's for two years...the 1983 911SC (which I have), and the 1984 911 Carrera. In 1985 came Garnet, a very similar color though with a touch more brown in hue.

The G50 came in 1987.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:14 PM
ThePointman
Intermediate

Default Paint Code

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
I purchased my 84 just over a year ago for (dare I say it!?) just under $12K. It had 100K on it, but no service records. I have put money into it, but not anything significant.
Is 85 supposed to have the G50, or was that new for 86? (My mind is rambling on again, because I think it is 86)
Anyway, this seems to be a bit too much for SoCal, but it might be a bulls-eye for the location.
BTW, I wish mine had sport seats, but I would not want to trade my sunroof.
The color looks very close to my "Ruby Metallic". Is there a paint code # somewhere?
I wonder if US cars had different names for the same colors as ROW vehicles?
+++
The paint code is S2S2, and the color is called "Garnet Red Metallic"
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

424 Automatic Head Control substitutes a twist **** with scale 1-10 for the twin heat levers between the seats on the standard 911. Just turn the **** to the desired heat level and a small electric motor in the box moves the actual levers.... an answer to a question nobody ever asked... kind of like a poer-operated ashtray... but interesting... it is quite expensive to fix, so hope it doesn;t break.

Also, from the pictures it looks like your car has a full leather interior... a pretty pricing option at the time, and quite nice IMHO.

BTW, this car has the exact same color scheme as my targa... Garnet with dark red leather...only the second one i have ever seen...
Old 09-13-2005, 09:54 PM
ThePointman
Intermediate

Default Leather Interior

Yes, you would be correct is does have all leather interior, icluding things such as door panels, head liner, dash, seats etc ... The heating **** you mention is definately there. I asked the current owner about it and he said "find a position for it and just leave it there". Should be a fun car to learn.

Quick Reply: Feedback on purchasing 1985 911 Carrera