Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

McPherson Strut rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:08 PM
greger
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McPherson Strut rebuild question

I have a 78 911SC Targa with 201500 miles on the odometer. When I purchased the car I had rear shocks and front inserts replaced (Bilstein's) . I have put approximately 23K on since then and am now getting a noise (on rebound mostly) on one side in the front. All attachments are tight butI can see the strut move or wobble (dust jacket was removed for minus camber-strut adj plate change) when I move the wheel on the top and bottom edges--as you would do to check front bearing tightness.

Since the inserts are relatively new, it has been suggested that the strut housing is worn and must either be replaced or remachined somehow. Would a broken bottom pin (for the Bilstein inserts) cause the same symptoms? I don't see movement of the pin on the outside of the strut housing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg Erickson
Old 09-08-2005, 03:57 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

If these are Bilstein (green) struts, it sounds like the strut bushings located at the mouth of the strut tube are worn and need replacement.

Bilstein can perform this service for you and its VERY reasonable.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
greger
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greger
I have a 78 911SC Targa with 201500 miles on the odometer. When I purchased the car I had rear shocks and front inserts replaced (Bilstein's) . I have put approximately 23K on since then and am now getting a noise (on rebound mostly) on one side in the front. All attachments are tight butI can see the strut move or wobble (dust jacket was removed for minus camber-strut adj plate change) when I move the wheel on the top and bottom edges--as you would do to check front bearing tightness.

Since the inserts are relatively new, it has been suggested that the strut housing is worn and must either be replaced or remachined somehow. Would a broken bottom pin (for the Bilstein inserts) cause the same symptoms? I don't see movement of the pin on the outside of the strut housing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg Erickson
Thanks! I'll drive slow until I get the repair done.

Greg Erickson

Quick Reply: McPherson Strut rebuild question