Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Many reasons we love these cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:43 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Many reasons we love these cars

I think I can speak for all of us when I say owning one of these cars is more than just material. The trill of nailing an apex is very fulfilling but ....
I need to tell you what happened too me yesterday.
Filling up the P-car with fuel when a little kid came up to me a mumbled something. He was maybe 5 or 6 years old. he says to me again. "That's a really nice car mister" with a huge smile. I doubt he new it was a Porsche, never mind 20 years old.
There just seems to be something captivating about the lines even after all of these years.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically, I can say that I loved, didn't love, then loved again 911s. When I was a kid, my dad had a new 1967 911. I loved that car and all 911s for years. Hearing that high pitched engine go by was such music. I couldn't wait to get my own. My first car was an English roadster just singing in character. Then in 1985 my time came to finally own a 911. The first 911 I ever drove cratered my love of Porsches. No offense intended to current owners, but it was a 1976 911S. Compared to my roadster and my imagination of driving a 911, it was an absolute slug. A 1984 Carrera that I tested next did little to help. Then I found my 73 911 which restored most of my love, though it was still a bit sterile compared to my English roadster. It wasn’t until I got the car on the track at Willow Springs until I discovered the 80% of the car I had no idea existed on the road. Like the 99% of SUV owners who don’t drive their off road, I feel sorry for the ??% of Porsche owners who don’t drive their car on a race track. They have no idea what kind of car they actually have.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:40 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay, What English roadster did you have? I couldn't afford a P-car back in the early 70's, so I had MGAs (three total), two 1959s and a 1960 twin cam (motor replaced with a 5 main MGB motor). I also owned for a short period of time a 1959 Austin Healey 100-6. All were really a blast to drive.

During the entire time, I would dream about 911s. In college, a gal I knew's father owned the P-car dealership in SLC. In 72 she showed up in a new 911T. What fun. I knew one day I would own a Porsche, I had to.

Take care,
Jim

Last edited by jet911; 09-07-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always loved 911's. I still remember when I was very young and I watched a 911 that was in front of me pass a car on a 2 lane highway. I can still picture it pulling out, rear end dropping under the acceleration and it darting around the car in front of it. Art in motion.

My first real exposure to a 911 was when I bought a very used Subaru wagon from an attorney in 1984. He had a '74 911 and I asked him more questions about the 911 than I did about the Subaru I was buying from him.

Fast foward 6 or 7 years and I got to drive my first 911, an '87 G-50 coupe. I went with a co-worker who was interested in the 911 to test drive this car and the salesperson agreed to let me drive it after my co-worker was done with the car. My 'test drive' consisted of driving around a subdivision at 25-40 mph for about 3 minutes. I was very disappointed in the 911 and thought it drove like a truck.

Even with that limited, poor experience, I still secretly wanted one. Several years later, I finally had enough money to buy one for myself and test drove an '88 coupe with 93,000 miles on it. The salesperson at a local Porsche dealership just gave me the keys to the car one fall evening. I opened the car up on the freeway and drove it hard. 30 minutes later, I came back to the dealership fully 'seeing the light' on 911 appeal. I was hooked. I spent the next 5 months looking at every used 911 in my area (no internet then like there is now) before settling on the newest and best one I could buy within my budget.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Sinbad7
AutoX

When I bought my 911 (late 70's Targa upgraded to 930 specs) about a year ago I had 1,000km to drive home. That evening I pulled into a Motel carpark and a five year old dropped everything he was doing and raced over to have a look. Got to the point where I had to be careful reversing into the parking spot 'cause I didn't know where he was. He spent about five minutes just walking around and staring at it, yet said nothing.

After a while his mother walked over and said that she was amazed at his response. She explained that he was an autistic child and normally very little took his fancy or excited him, and certainly never any thing as 'boring' as a car.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2005, 03:33 PM
My87Targa
Racer

i love my car because its something different. im only 19 and most kids my age have mustangs or f bodies or civics or the normal stream line teenage cars. so atleast where i live its nice to have a bit of a different car.

also i like the fact that when i feel unsure of what i wanna spend my paycheck on i can be sure something will break in my car and my problem will be solved LOL
Old 09-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

My English roadster was, and still is, a Sunbeam Alpine. But, before you say “oh, just an Alpine” this Alpine is one hot roadster with dual side draft DCOE Webers, hot cam, special high flow head, special racing exhaust headers, and various other hot parts giving it more hp/lb than a stock Tiger. It absolutely rips like a bat out of hell. That all said, I think the best modification I did was to get a factory overdrive transmission! Making it fully comfortable at today’s freeway speeds. I also come and go which car I like better on the track. Yes, the 911 does it better, stronger, and faster – it’s like when you push it simply says “ja” and does it. But, with the Alpine, when you push it, it does it with that British character as though its say “quite right, here you go.”
Old 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
jet911
Pro

Jay that's cool. I love the look of the Sunbeam Alpine's. A true English rag top sports car. The Tigers were/are quick as hell and as you describe the upgrades to your Alpine, I have no doubt it "rips like a bat at of hell!"

I love my P-Car, however, I've been looking around lately for an old Brit rag top such as a TR4, TR6 or possibly and MGB to add to the stable. They are easy to work on and really a blast to drive.

Thanks for the response Jay.

Regards,
Jim
'86 Carrera Coupe
Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I always offer to show kids the engine - adults too.

Just a tip - don't give a kid a ride w/o being sure the parents ok it first.

Often wish I had a boat-tail Alfa too...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:22 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I think I can speak for all of us when I say owning one of these cars is more than just material. The trill of nailing an apex is very fulfilling but ....
I need to tell you what happened too me yesterday.
Filling up the P-car with fuel when a little kid came up to me a mumbled something. He was maybe 5 or 6 years old. he says to me again. "That's a really nice car mister" with a huge smile. I doubt he new it was a Porsche, never mind 20 years old.
There just seems to be something captivating about the lines even after all of these years.
I'm amazed at the attention my SC gets on the road. I live in an area where Porsches are not rare by any means. Coming home from work a couple of months ago with my windows and sunroof open, I pass a bunch of young kids playing with skate boards and bikes, and they all stop and stand up straight, and I hear one say, "Look! A REAL Porsche! Cool!" A couple of days later, more comments while in town, again from kids who weren't even born when the last 911 body rolled off in 89. The best was at our region's Porscherama event at Pocono Raceway last year. Parked with several friends with 996s...a brand new GT3, a brand new 996 Anniversary, and a really nice 996 cab with custom roll bar and race seats...this guy comes up and is looking and circling, and finally asks my friend with the GT3, looking at my car, "Ummm...Is this your 911SC? It's really beautiful!"

I've wanted one of these since I was about eleven. My plan was to buy one, join PCA, and learn to drive it on the track...all of which I'm doing now. I would tell my dad that, if I could drive a 911 well, I could drive anything. I stuck to my plan, though it took me more than 20 years to get there!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I wanted a 911 from the time I was old enough to remember what they were called when I saw one.
I had a very brief chance at owning a 914 when I was in high school, but for various reasons I didn't buy it.
I went through the phases of customizing whatever I owned, from a 68 Camaro to a 53 Truimph motorcycle to a 77 Alfa Spider.
When the opportunity came to buy my first 911 (a 74 non-sunroof coupe), for $5000, I JUMPED UP AND DOWN LIKE A GIDDY LITTLE SCHOOLGIRL!
I then begged my wife to be understanding. I made a deal with the devil herself to buy that car. It was still the best deal I ever made with her, except for the marriage thing.

I had to give up my Alfa and my Triumph, and I even had to forget about buying a Harley in order to buy that car. She said I didn't need a Porsche AND a Harley.
I bought the car and then named my dog Harley, just so I would have both.

The car was wrecked by an idiot turning left into my drivers' side as I went through an intersection on my way to work (yes, I had the green light!).
I replaced the car with another of my all-time favorites, a '66 Malibu Convertible.
It was a fun car. Pretty easy to work on, got TONS of waves, smiles, and thumbs-ups, but it lacked something that I could not re-create by adding HP, power brakes, reliable electronics, better seats, etc. etc. It would NEVER be a 911.
I decided that I MUST have another 911. I bought my 84 from a fellow list member in the Rennlist classifieds. He was only about 15 miles from my home. A short test drive and a positive PPI result sent me to the bank. I bought this car before selling the Chevelle, as you never know what misfortune might prevent you from owning a really cool car.
Anyway, this is very likely the 911 that I will keep until I am unable to enjoy the thrill of driving one anymore.
I truly do love this car; not near as much as my wife and family, but for a material item, it ranks #1 for me.
++++
Old 09-10-2005, 12:39 AM
pgrunwald
Instructor

It was real simple for me - IROC Season One. I turned 12 that summer and I've wanted one ever since!

There are some great photos here:

http://www.mlodeent.com/IROC/iroc.htm

Paul
-----------------
'87 Targa
Old 09-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Hey Paul, What a great website. There are some pretty good pics in there that many of us would have never seen without the link.
I have a favorite, bet you can guess.
+++
Old 09-10-2005, 08:27 PM
einzel
Intermediate

I love my 911 3.2 Turbo look! The noise of the engine is outstanding!
Anyways, I love icon cars, for that reason I have also a BMW M3 EVO E 30, VW RABITT GTI 1.8 and a Mini Cooper Sportpack 1.3!!

I really love them all the same.. icon cars have real personality, they feel alive!!

Clasiccs cars are the best for me!
Old 09-10-2005, 09:19 PM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
I have a favorite, bet you can guess.
+++

I'm fond of this one for obvious reasons!

Quick Reply: Many reasons we love these cars