Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'71 911T Radio Removal--What's the trick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Tim Sullivan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '71 911T Radio Removal--What's the trick?

My factory radio doesn't work and I wanted to remove it for repair. How should I go about removing it?

I was expecting to see a couple of nuts behind the volume and channel control ***** but I didn't see any-- or they are covered up by the outer dash trim panel in front of the radio?

Looks like the dash trim panel (about two inches wide and runs in front of the radio and heater/vent controls) needs to be removed first? If so, how is it mounted and removed?

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been a while since I did an origional factory radio, but here goes... maybe this will get you started.

First, the car has what they call a DIN mounting so that any standard euorpean spec radio will fit. It slides in from the front into a sleeve that surrounds the mount and hold the radio in. There is also usually a stud in the back of the radio that has a nut to attach it to a bracket in the dash to keep it from sliding in and out.

You will need to remove the trim under the dash....

If the car has A/C, you will have to remove that unit... this is done with screws and is pretty obvious, but is a PIA and you need to be careful not to break the connections.

If not, consider yourself lucky. The trim is basically high-grade cardboard. THis attached with some screws and clips... I don;t remember exactly how this works, but it isn;t hard to figure out.

At that point you can look up under the dash and see the radio. The antenna is a plug. IIRC, the power and speaker wires may be attached to connectors, but may also be hard-wired, in which case you will have to cut them with wire cutter... LABEL EVERYTHING with tape before you remove the wiring... its a bitch to figure it our after the fact.

At this point, you should be able to see the nut in the back... if not, you can reach up and feel it... remove that.

Pull the ***** off the front. The shafts should be threaded and flat nuts holding the face plate on... unscrew these... these can be a bitch to get to, so long needle nose pliers are helpful... I'm pretty sure the faceplate is not attached to the dash, so it should all come off....

At this point the radio should slide out of the opening. there may be screws, or clips holding it into the sleeve in the dash, so look for these... (I've done alot of aftermarket radios, and they usually have snapclips.... but I haven't done a factory radio for years so I can;t remember exactly what they did... just look and fiddle, and don;t force anything... the radio should slide right out... if not, there is a fasterner/springclip somewhere.... )

Good luck
Old 09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Tim Sullivan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the great information!

Quick Reply: '71 911T Radio Removal--What's the trick?