Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Short shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Barclay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Weltmeister is readily available, do a search on the other Porsche board. I don't think there very sought after for one reason or another. On the other hand from what I read Wevo is the way to go and a price tag to go with it.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:02 AM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, I have the Weltmeister, installed by previous owner. I am wondering how it's performance differs from the factory SS kit. Also considering returning to stock (no SS kit), and wondering what to expect, other than longer throws (ie: less balky feeling, etc.). I may be getting ahead of myself, as I have yet to replace all of the bushings and change to Swepco gear oil (parts on order). I am sure these changes will make things better....
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Weltmeister, in general, is decent and you would never be ashamed to install any of their stuff on your Ford Mustang.

I'd hold out for the late model shifter and maybe the factory super short shifter (or whatever we've agreed to call it this decade....).

But first, substitute labor for money and go thru all the "soft" parts in your linkage - coupler, shifter, rod, etc. Also get the insturctions posted online by Sherwood (911pcars) and do all the adjustments and fiexes he has posted. Then decide on what else you might want to buy...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

ah -- here ya go...

http://www.seinesystems.com/ShiftHousBluPrint.htm
Old 09-10-2005, 01:46 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I put the OEM SS kit in my '84 and replaced ALL of the shifter bushings at the same time. What a difference. Highly reccommend you do ALL.
regards,
Steve
Old 09-10-2005, 03:12 PM
JP Stanley
7th Gear

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:08 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

Agree I installed a OEM SS.It is absolutlely the best.

BUT READ THIS::::
When you adjust the linkage coupler, use a micrometer. Very-very-very slight changes will give a very different shift performance.

Take your time, once you think that you have it right, mark your setting (paint or scribe) then make it way-way better. These cars can shift very nice if you are patient.

If you have no problem shifting up thru the gears, but going down from 5th to 4th you get a slight grind, then you are picking up a little reverse. At this point is micrometer time, you need to lenghten shaft, just a very little at a time.

This will be a very fun activity because each time you change the setting you get to go for a drive, so use very fine grain adjustments!!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

red: Very good point, the 5 to 4 shift is crucial! One thing that I would like to add is to ensure that the base of the lever, below the bend, must be absolutely vertical before making adjustments. If it isn't you will be reduced to a dog that's chasing its tail. I get down on my knees, outside the car, lean in head first, in front of the drivers seat, and position the lever to vertical. After that, when doing the actual shift adjustment, I don't let the lever move fore and aft. In other words, every time that I make a small change I snug down the clamp bolt and static-shift with the lever. When I have all five in the garage then I drive the car to see if it needs additional fine tuning. Until you've done this a few times it might be helpful, once the lever is vertical. to use a Sharpie to make a reference mark.
Pete

Quick Reply: Short shift kit