Bilstein Shock Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:21 PM
hanzonn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Shock Recommendations

Greetings,

Sorry to beat this - I actually DID read numerous back posts on this topic. I have an '89 3.2 Carrera Coupe that is in need of new shocks (100k+ miles). The car has been lowered to Euro specs and as far as I can tell, it has the original shocks and all other suspension elements. I don't plan on making any other changes to the suspension, keeping the car as original as possible. l plan on spirited driving, maybe taking a course on how to push the limits of the car, but not any regular autocross or racing. Here are my questions:
1 - I've heard some say to put Sports on the rear and HD's on the front. What is the reason for this configuration? Is it better than Sports front & rear?
2 - Are Sports a lot harsher riding than the HD's?
3 - Is there any harm in using Sports along with the original stock torsion bars and sway bars?
4 - Are Sports actually shorter and made for lowered cars?
5 - Lastly, what are YOUR recommendations, based upon my driving preferences?

Thanks in advance, Greg
Old 08-31-2005, 11:16 PM
lewis9113.2
Instructor

I have a '87 3.2; it had Boge's but replaced with the HD's after 90k miles, awesome.
For street driving they are ideal and would suit your needs.
I'm the same as you; hard driving in the hills but still wanting some 'comfort' for normal use.

Next for me is to 'tighten' things up with with new bushings (Elephant probably).
Old 09-01-2005, 04:45 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Generally Sports are stiffer so you would want it on the rear for the heavy weight of the engine in the back, but I would just go with Sports all around. HDs are fine for everyday driving but the Sports are firmer and a little more fun during spirited drives. Sure you will feel more bumps in the road but you can't beat the handling. I personally have not driven any Porsche with Sports or HDs...I'm giving my perspective from driving numerous BMWs with both setups and I generally liked the Sports a lot more. My daily driver VW Golf has Bilstein Sports and handle the corners very nicely!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:37 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, Great car, huh? Your driving profile & 911 are similar to mine ('87 w/ 106K mi, owned 4+ yrs, Euro ride height, otherwise quite stock). I replaced the OEM Boges w/ Bilstein Sp on rear - have yet to put HDs on the front. I have installed the "turbo tie rod" kit, stiffer engine mounts (not solid) & latest tranny mount - no changes yet to torsion or sway bars (though made the rear sway bar mount fix). Bridgestone RE730s (about to be replaced) on 6&7 x 16 Fuchs.

So, on my example, there are open issues as to matching the frt / rear shocks, tuning the susp to the shocks, upgrading to 8 or 9 x 16s on the rear (or going to 17s), etc. However, I found the rear sports to be more harsh than I expected for typical daily driving (25 - 65 mph) on typical roads. On smoother roads, at 40+ mph, the ride is quite nice, & the control dynamic is indeed improved. In retrospect, I think I would have been happier w/ the HDs, esp since I have decided to use a 356 for track work, rather than the 911. A key component of shock / susp tuning is the tire "personality", so selection will exagerate or ameliorate the impact of the other choices - the whole thing is a system. Consider what the factory did, why, & how they evolved that over time & for specific applications. Commentators like Steve Weiner & Pete Zimmerman will have further & more expert comment.

my short answers...
1) wisdom is that in dual-use apps, the frt, being so light & having to deal w/ initial impacts, doesn't call for sports.
2) I haven't a/b tested, but I assume it is a noticeable difference (or why would there be 2 models?).
3) that's what I'm doing - maybe that's why I am not yet 100% satisfied - I haven't changed the whole system (including all bushings, etc).
4) no, in fact Bilstein's positive pressure nitrogen gas design actually raises the ride height a little.
5) take your time, gather povs of numerous users, drive different versions if at all possible.

When all is done, have an expert 911 shop perform 4 wheel allignment & corner balancing.
Cheers!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 AM
H. Miller
Racer

I just had the HD/Sport Front/Rear mod done but also upgraded torsion bars because I do 5-7 Drivers Eds each year. I drive my car to work 3-5 days a week except in Winter.
I think the Sports would be too harsh unless you are committed to going to the track. HDs all around or HDs front Sport Rear would be my recommendation based on what you said about your driving and the fact you are not modding other parts of the suspension.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

For what it'sworth, I just put HD's on my Golf TDI and it is a different car. More to the point, the Hd's are a stiff as I would like to see on a street car. Of course, I am comparing them to the OE shocks/struts, which were scrap before they were installed.

Last, though I am very impressed with the Bilsteins, one of our local tuning gurus says nothing but Konis will do on a 911. YRMV.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:01 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Shocks need to work in concert with the springs (torsion bars) to dampen ocillations in the spring is loaded either by entering a turn or hitting a bump.

If the shock is too soft, it cannot control the spring and the car will "porpoise" (think 68 Buick). IF the shock is too stiff, it overwhelms the spring as load is created... the car rides harshly, skitters over bumps and is wonky entering turns...

I sporting driving, you are creating more weight transfer more quickly from more aggressive braking, turning and speed over bumps. Since you are putting more energy into the spring, it makes sense to upgrade the shock to deal with it... just don;t overdo it or the car will not be very pleasant to drive.... especially if the roads are rough in your area.

Bilstein can revalve your shocks and can make suggestions on the proper valving based on the your other suspension components, and desired use of the car
Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I put Bilstein Sports on 86 911 last year.
I too was concerned they would be too rough.
Absolutely no regrets. Love the shocks for street and track.
Not much harsher than the originals. It's not like it had a soft ride anyway.
My passenger never noticed any difference.
Go for it!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First check to see if you already have the Factory "Sport" suspension on your car. If it has green struts, then it is probable. If so, you don't need new shocks. Just send them to Bilstein to be rebuilt and custom revalve to match the torsion bars. It is cheaper than buying new (ie $65 ea rear and $75 ea front), plus you get a custom shock. It takes about a week to turn them around once they receive them, so your car will be out of commision for a while.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
hanzonn
Advanced

I just checked the original invoice on the car. It was installed with "sport shock absorbers" (a $308.00 option). The rears are black as are the front struts, which appear to be Boge. Anybody know what shocks were used in this option?

Thanks, Greg

PS - funny that this car was classified as a "Mini Compact" by the EPA!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The sure way to check if they were Bilsteins is to look at the bottom of the front struts for a rollpin that goes through the center of the strut housing. This rollpin holds the end of the shock piston, since the Bilsteins are installed upside down.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:00 PM
hanzonn
Advanced

No rollpin. So.... I guess Boge made/makes a sport shock?

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shock Recommendations