Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

86' 911 fuse pops

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005 | 03:34 PM
LOW13
AutoX

Default 86' 911 fuse pops

Help! Fuse nbr 12 for turn signal indicator pops when i turn on the left turn signal. Have replaced the bulb and soon as i turn on left turn signal the fuse pops again. Recently had a viper alarm installed??? wonder if somehow the wires are mixed. Anyone with same year 911 can check what wires are attached to the top and bottom of fuse 12 may help me. solve this or any other suggestion Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005 | 05:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Alarm installers usually use the parking lot circuit to give you an arm/disarm flash of light. No telling what they might have done on your car, but I suggest that you go back to them. Perhaps a faulty diode was used, I don't know. You can do a little troubleshooting, though. (1) With the fuse removed turn on the ignition and left turn signal. (2) Use a test light to determine if the upper or lower terminal is hot (12V), it's almost always the lower. (3) If there is more than one wire on the cold terminal loosen that screw and remove all the wires. (4) Install a new 5 amp fuse, turn on the ignition and left turn signal, and touch the removed wires one at a time. The problem circuit, probably alarm related, will blow the fuse. At least you will be able to confirm exactly where the trouble lies.
Pete
Old 08-26-2005 | 12:38 PM
LOW13
AutoX

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Alarm installers usually use the parking lot circuit to give you an arm/disarm flash of light. No telling what they might have done on your car, but I suggest that you go back to them. Perhaps a faulty diode was used, I don't know. You can do a little troubleshooting, though. (1) With the fuse removed turn on the ignition and left turn signal. (2) Use a test light to determine if the upper or lower terminal is hot (12V), it's almost always the lower. (3) If there is more than one wire on the cold terminal loosen that screw and remove all the wires. (4) Install a new 5 amp fuse, turn on the ignition and left turn signal, and touch the removed wires one at a time. The problem circuit, probably alarm related, will blow the fuse. At least you will be able to confirm exactly where the trouble lies.
Pete

Amazing!!! did what you recommended and you are so right on!!! Problem fixed the one wire on the bottom (what it is for i don't know) removed and now my left front turn signal works and no more fuse pop!!!!
Pete, THANK YOU!!!

Quick Reply: 86' 911 fuse pops