Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Total 911 Magazine - Issue 1 available on CD

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a 911 magazine, why say anything about the 928? Surely it's not necessary to say something bad about the 928 to make the 911 look better, is it? The 911 is a great car in all its variants. You shouldn't need to call another car "big and lazy".

As for the whole evolution question - who here thinks the Porsche engineers didn't take what they had learned from ALL previous Porsches to make the best 911 they could? You could argue the 996 evolved from the Ford Model T and you would be correct at least in some respects!

Last edited by Bill Coleman; 08-23-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Jim_H
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might help if they knew WTF they were talking about... Ugh...

Johnfm posted
By 1995 the S4 was over 3500 lbs with 316hp from its 5 litres. I think 'BIG' is an appropriate description of it. Lazy
Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think its fair for those here who trash the 911 (in the 911 forum, of all places!). Nobody here was badmouthing the 928 in the first place. I personally think the 928 is a great car, but would never buy one because, purely, I love the 911 more than any other Porsche.

Btw, Mark Anderson didn't know it at the time, but the Briggs & Stratton sign was an indicator of something quite contrary to his thinking.

Last edited by papaya9; 08-23-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:18 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by robmug
Bill - please don't make assumptions as to what was actually said; the article in queastion was a piece that contradicts those who say that the 911 is comparable to a 928.

To quote our magazine "...to compare a modern 911 with the big, lazy 928 is plain silly"

Is this not what you say in your post - that the 2 cars are different?
Sure Rob, we saw that and in fact the entire quote is published here...you don't have to rub into our eyes that your magazine said it. Last month it was we and other models of Porsche were "lesser Porsches" peppered throughout your magazine (this was alleged to be a "Tongue in Cheek" statement) , this month your description of the 928 is "Big and Lazy".

We get the message very clearly, your magazine slaps down other Porsche to appeal to 911 Drivers all the while trying to drive down the value of other Porsches. Some folks might find that appealling so they can pick up a "non- 911" cheaply but those of us that drive other versions of Porsche does not find your magazines slander even remotely funny especially since you WERE a Rennlist sponsor where our community embraces all Porsches as great cars.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 928drvr86.5
Let's throw in the 993 as well! Isn't the 993 multilink suspension just a revision of the 928 Weissach Axle technology?
YES! What about four piston calipers and big brakes apppeeared on what Porsche first? The Nikisil bore, did it appear on the CGT first?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:23 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Red face

OH BOY! This guy...geez!

Originally Posted by JBH
In the US, a target market of the Total 911, there is freedom of speech - even for those that are not citizens of our Country.

Again, I am surprised by the outrage and defensive response by this group of Porsche owners. Many magazines have crtiicized the 911 as an antiquated and tired design, but who cares? It does not impact the value of my car or the excitement it provides when driven at the limit.

Libel and slander? Seriously? I would say some of the posts against this magazine are more slanderous than anything that appeared in it. Besides, you would have to prove damages - please explain the damage you have suffered.

It was gracious of Rob to apologize, but I think unnecessary.

If you want to believe the 996 and 997 evolved from the 928, fine - we've already covered this territory ad nauseum
Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem, Rob, is that the phrase "big, lazy 928" translates to American ears as "slow and lethargic". I don't know what it means in the U.K., but that one sentence was highly offensive to every 928 owner in the U.S., including the ones such as myself who also own and love 911's, and who have many friends who feel the same way, who were thinking of sampling your magazine. No one disputes that the 911 is a very different animal than a 928. Your editors need to watch their adjectives.

The media world is a very difficult place to play, and it's going to take some meticulous, nifty editing and a keen awareness of how various words and phrases are received in different cultures to keep from offending large portions of your current and potential readership.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by papaya9
Nobody here was badmouthing the 928 in the first place.
It's hard to see how "big and lazy" isn't badmouthing. I know that if someone called ME big and lazy I'd be offended - even if it is somewhat true!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Raby wants to diss a 928, and he also drives and publishes another rag about MG's?!?!?

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetsprit...legallery.html

Old 08-23-2005, 01:15 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Talk about "big and lazy" and discontinued after a year or two of production (the new MG). This guy Raby clearly knows how to make a bad choice.
Originally Posted by Mark
Rab...also drives and publishes another rag about MG's?!?!?

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetsprit...legallery.html

Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not just ANY MG...he's driving an MG Midget!

BTW - Link to the magazine site is no longer working. While writing about an MG Midget - he musta called an MGB or MGC "Big & Lazy" and pissed off the majority of his readership - causing massive subscription cancellations!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:30 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"Until the constitution is overturned, the staff of Total 911 are entitled to their opinion. You are also quite free to start your own magazine about the 928 that totally trashes the 911.

I find this reaction totally laughable - whining about it won't change a thing."

You're right. Whining does not change the fact that year for year a 928 will kick the motherloving snot out of VW Beetle....errrrr.........a 911.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:33 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Mark
Not just ANY MG...he's driving an MG Midget!

BTW - Link to the magazine site is no longer working. While writing about an MG Midget - he musta called an MGB or MGC "Big & Lazy" and pissed off the majority of his readership - causing massive subscription cancellations!
Don't you mean he is- "packing a Midgit"?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
ClubsportSP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
OH BOY! This guy...geez!
I have a mint copy of issue one available if you want it ??

What.....no-one?

SP
Old 08-23-2005, 01:46 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by ClubsportSP
I have a mint copy of issue one available if you want it ??

What.....no-one?

SP
LOL, If you have not read it, what makes you think that anybody else does?