Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Water in my boots (tie rod/steering)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 10:06 AM
lostinatl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Water in my boots (tie rod/steering)

Recently purchashed an '84 911, during my inspection to see why the front end was so loose, I decided to check to see if it had the turbo tie rod update. It did, but what I found suprised me. The rubber boots had lots of water inside. The retainer on the inside of both sides was not the spring but a tie wrap like on the exterior portion of both sides. Both ends appear water tight. Rust and water was apparent on shaft and the turbo tie rod swivel joint. Assuming both ends were water tight, where is the water coming from. Glad I did the inspection. Anyone with (turbo tie rods) them should go under and check.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa, deja vu. Must be a glitch in the matrix. My '85 had precisely the same symptoms are you describe. Water in the rack boots. In my case, it was discovered because my rack was "sticky" while driving in a straight line. Turned out that as well as the rack having water damage, the steering column bearing at the top of the rack was corroded as well. I had the rack replaced and turbo tie rods installed. I gotta tell you I'm exstatic about the result. I thought that the steering on my car was naturally heavy beacuse I have 17" wheels, but it ain't necessarily so. With the new rack, its almost like having power steering. Sooo much better. Now I can parallel park without grunting. :-)

...Kicking myself for not fixing it sooner,
Derrick B.
85 Carerra

Quick Reply: Water in my boots (tie rod/steering)