Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Monty single or dual outlet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 07:33 AM
gbailey911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Monty

I just installed a new single in/single out 3" tip Monty on my 87 3.2 Carrera. The only other exhaust mod is a cat bypass pipe. Finish and fit are beautiful and sounds awlsome! At highway cruising speeds, you can hardly notice any difference from stock, but let the revs fly and it growls! Worth the wait!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:59 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
I didn't mean a fabspeed bypass deal, I meant SSI/muffler combo compared to my SC stock setup. I've learned that SSI/muffler without cats won't allow me to pass my local inspection sniff test and I don't want to play the 'swap back to stock once a year for the inspection game', so if I'm going to change from stock SC setup to something else, that 'something else' must have some sort of cats, so now I'm on a mission to find the best SSI/cat/muffler setup with some sort of hi-flow cat that would be worth the cost of changing. GHL's system looks good but I don't know if anyone here can comment on that one... It's pricy.
The SSIs are based on the 74 exhaust design (no cats), so if emissions are a concern, I think that consideration is out for you.

You could do a single in/out Monty, though I have no first hand knowledge of how it sounds (I'm sure better than stock!).

FWIW, when I switched to the SSIs and Monty 2 in/1 out, I could not believe the difference. The thing just rumbles off idle on start up! It was louder when I first installed it, though it has burned in nicely and it sounds excellent. Inside the car, it is completely non-obtrusive. Outside, well, I have had people coming up to me at track days and autocrosses to find out what I'm running and to tell me how great it sounds...and that's among a field of other Porsches, by the way! One guy told me that my SC sounded like a GT3...who am I to argue?

How about an inspector that had poor eyesight?

Quick Reply: Monty single or dual outlet?