Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

alternator rebuild shop in los angeles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 06:33 PM
mikew
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post alternator rebuild shop in los angeles?

hi all,
does anyone know of a good shop in the los angeles/pasadena area to get my alternator rebuild? thanks in advance for all replies.

mike, 88 targa
Old 01-29-2002, 08:50 AM
saint
Intermediate

Hi, don't repair. Replace

<a href="http://www.aasesales.com" target="_blank">www.aasesales.com</a>
Old 01-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts
Hi Mike,

Almost any alternator/starter rebuilder that services Bosch should be able to rebuild your alternator blindfolded. Basically the worn brushes get replaced and the brush contact surfaces get resurfaced and you are good to go for another 70k miles. It's basically the brushes that get worn to half its new length and no longer make contact with the commutators. I've had it done a few times over the years with my various Carreras without any problems. It usually runs about $50 to $60.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:09 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with Steve above. I had my '86's alternator rebuilt by a reputable shop in my area. They didn't even blink an eye when I told them it was a Paris-Rhone alt from a Porsche. It cost me $120 about 4 years ago and I had it in 24 hrs.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:07 AM
mikew
AutoX

hi guys,
thanks for the replies. just to show how lucky some of you are-or how unlucky i am, i will back up and give a little history of why i made the original post: i took my alternator out about a month ago, with the help of this board, to have the regulator replaced due to overcharging. since it's out of the car already, i decided to get the alternator refurbished. i cracked open the yellow pages and had it rebuilt in the first alternator shop i saw. to make a long story short, after one month, 4-5 trips to the alternator shop, installing and taking the alternator out of the car 3 times, 2 different regualtors, a new battery, i still am not getting a charge. each time i took the alternator to the shop, i was assured that it's working and it must be something else. that's when i wrote the first post. since then, i took the alternator to another shop which is suppose to be more familiar with the paris-rhone. the tech told me that the slip rings were grind down too much and one of the diodes is bad....2nd rebuild. just picked up the alternator again today. will try to install it again in the next day or two-i am getting quite good at it. hope it works.

mike, 88 targa
Old 02-04-2002, 02:30 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Hi Mike,

I hope it works out OK. Just out of curiousity, which shop did you end up using? It's been a long time but my last one was done at Allen Alternator in West LA. It was around $100 IIRC and has worked great ever since.

Cheers,
Old 02-04-2002, 03:25 PM
mikew
AutoX

hi chris and everyone else,
happy to report that the second rebuild is working perfectly, charging at around 14.2 volts. had it done at grand auto electric in monrovia. they do alternators and starters. $120 for a full rebuild including stator, rotor, and rectifiers. they even bead blasted the fan shroud.

mike, 88 targa

Quick Reply: alternator rebuild shop in los angeles?