Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tools: Facom vs. Snapon vs. SK/Facom

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 10:49 AM
johnnyquest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tools: Facom vs. Snapon vs. SK/Facom

Since I got my Porsche and have monitored this board, I've seen quite a few posts about using only Snap-on tools. My tools are mostly Craftsman and Ace Hardware and date back to my work on my '73 Audi Fox and diesel Rabbit (when I was in school in the late 70s and early 80s), both of which cars selflessly donated their bodies to science so I could learn some basic automotive repair. I know that I shouldn't use these on the Pcar. I intend to do only light maintenance, like fluid changes, brake pads, etc.

So now I need to buy two torque wrenches, a socket set, and will gradually replace my open end and box end wrenches. The Snap-on torque wrenches are about $275 a pop and the Facoms are even more (from Griots). Are they worth it? I saw an add for SK/Facom tools (which said they are made in America) for much cheaper. Are they the same tools or something inferior?

TIA for any thoughts.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:12 AM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not all that convinced that a craftsman open ended wrench is that much different or inferior to a more expensive brand. However, when it comes to tools with moving parts, e.g., ratchet etc, I suspect there is a difference.

The most useful tool I have recently purchased is a set of Snap-On metric combination wrenches. One end is open end and the other end is a box reversable ratchet. They are super for getting into tight spaces where a socket cannot fit. Really speeds up the work. Highly recommended!
Old 11-19-2002, 11:34 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
shop eBay for Snap-on torque wrench's. You can find new ones alot of the time.

Chris
Old 11-19-2002, 11:41 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,960 Likes on 2,811 Posts
Home Depot sells pretty decent torque wrenches for around $69.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Schuey
Racer

i never thought about looking for the on ebay...thanks for the tip
Old 11-19-2002, 12:04 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Snap - On, but buy Craftsman. Not a full time wrench, but like to tinker. You'd have to be a pro to really need the difference. Major reason for hand tools is that they are typically smaller headed, but still strong - makes 'em nicer to get in and out of tight locations. Polished finish ez to clean. Easier on the hands when you put torque on them. They also are very precise in terms of fit and sizing. Then there's the torque wrenches. Snap - On torque wrenches are the way to go. Craftsman isn't bad, but for that you need accuracy, the Snap on's are available with jointed heads and are strong enough to last indefinitely. Been beating on mine routinely for 7 years now and still checks out perfect. For specialized tools, Snap - On hands down.

There's also a lot of people favoring "Husky" @ Home Depot. Guess they have some nice stuff that lasts too.

Isn't Snap - on built by SK? (They're built by somebody)

rjp
Old 11-19-2002, 12:43 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I use a combination of S&k and Craftsman.If you want Falcom the Ultimate Garage <a href="http://www.ultimategarage.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ultimategarage.com/</a> will probaly beat Girot for price.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:38 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally don't see what's wrong with Craftsman. Yes, I'm sure on an absolute level Snap-on et al are of a higher quality. but since I'm not made of of money I buy what does the job. As to longevity, it's hard to beat Sears lifetime warranty. If you're worried about offending your P-car, you should probably go get some german tools.

Stef
Old 11-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used torque wrench. Periodically these need to be calibrated and snap-on calibration is quite expensive. Don't cheap out on this piece of measureing equipment. New Snap-on 3/8" torque wrenches are about $200 for 5-75ft/lb. Well worth the money.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:27 PM
johnnyquest
Advanced

What I've heard is that the tolerances for Craftsman are not as exact as with Snap-on or Facom, so you can end up rounding off your fasteners with one of those wrenches. I'm certainly not a professional mechanic, but I do intend to keep my Pcar for a long time. And in that case it makes sense to keep the nuts and bolts in good shape. I'd rather not spend the big bucks, but if you buy the best, there's nothing to complain about later, and you don't have to buy it again when it breaks (or deal with Sears on the warranty claim). Also, I understand that the Craftsman warranty for torque wrenches is only 90 days.

Ebay is a good idea. I'll give it a shot.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Bill W.
Advanced

I was a gas station mechanic back in the 70's and picked up a great number of tools, many were used ones from our Snap-On guy. Also many Craftsman, S-K and Matco. They have all held up well.

My biggest problem has been when I've needed repair on my Snap-On's. Since I'm no longer in the business I have to chase down a driver who doesn't really want to deal w/ me since I'm not a prospect for new sales, just a pain for him to deal with.

Craftsman, for me, is a very short drive and I've never had a problem exercising their lifetime warranty. I also get to browse for new additions. As for the tool styles, in the last several years Craftsman has come out w/ the smooth/polished style which is very nice and they also have the open end/box ratchet wrenches, I have a small set. I also use 3 Craftsman Torque wrenches on both the 911 and my BMW motorcycles and have never had a problem with them.

I will admit though, one of my favorite tools is a set of Snap-On open end/swivel-socket end wrenches, I find them very handy.

If I had the financial resources (IOW, stinkin' rich) I'd have both a garage and Facom tool's much like the ones at Ultimate Garage, I've had them bookmarked for years in case I ever hit the lottery.

Bill W.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:42 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by stefang:
<strong>I'm not made of of money I buy what does the job. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What Stef said. Depending on the use, I even buy Harbor Freight. Unless there is something wrong with the tools you already have, save your money. That being said, "because I want Snap-On" is a perfectly good reason to buy them.

About 12 years ago my tools were stolen from my truck. About a week later the alternator went out. I didn't have the cash at the time to buy another Craftsman socket and wrench set. So while I was at the auto parts store (Kragan) buying the new alternator, I checked out the tool isle. I got a nice socket set (standard and metric, 1/4 & 3/8, with a screwdriver handle and bits, came in a nylon zipper case with elastic loops holding everything in) for ~$25 and a set of metric combination wrenches for ~$12. The brand is Crew Line, and I still use them. They are also have a lifetime guarantee, and seem to be well made (in fact the 3/8" wratchet seems to be tougher than my new Craftsman.

Tom
Old 11-19-2002, 08:12 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tools are a real investment. They'll last forever if you choose the right ones. Buy them once and buy them right. Craftsman. The price difference will make your head spin. Bummer since SK / Snap on is so nice.

rjp
Old 11-19-2002, 09:53 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I purchased my snap-on torque instrument direct from the snap-on website. I looked at some others, (matco, craftsman, etc) but decided to go with the snap-on torque instrument and I'm pleased with the tool. It comes with a good warranty and you can always send it back to snap-on if needs be (no, you don't really have to chase the snap-on truck down the street).

I'm sure the others are fine too.

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 11-20-2002, 10:53 PM
Bill W.
Advanced

Snap-On makes great tools but I don't want the hassle and expense of boxing, shipping a broken tool in addition to the time spent without it when my Sears Hardware store is around the corner from the Post Office. Fortunately, neither my Snap-On's or my Craftsman need repair very often.

Bill W.

Quick Reply: Tools: Facom vs. Snapon vs. SK/Facom