Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 951 vs. '88 911 Cabrio (My Car Vs. Older Brothers Newly Purchased 911)... UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, that Derrek Bell's a wuss! I'm about 5-seconds faster than him at Willow Springs and I don't even have a TurboS, HAH !!! heh, heh... I think the key in comparisons here is the same driver in both cars. Actually the car that gets FTD all the time at POC/PCA events out here is a 914. Kinda like this one that won the <a href="http://www.opentrackchallenge.com" target="_blank">Open Track Challenge</a> (the ultimate end-all of bench/armchair-racing). Here's my <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000437" target="_blank">write-up,</a> let's see some more Porsches out there next year (gotta show those 'vette & Viper guys)!

There's a 911 vs. 944 on the racetrack thread somewhere, I'm trying to keep this focused on Cory's comparison. Still scanning, there's about four more pages....

Ok, here's the rest of the article:

<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/951vs930_9-10.jpg" target="_blank">951S vs. 930: page 9-10</a>
<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/951vs930_11-12.jpg" target="_blank">951S vs. 930: page 11-12</a>
Old 09-30-2002, 12:15 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATE...

Well it happened. My brother and I met up at mom's house today for my neice's graduation party (she home school's). As usual, we had the usual lack of communication between us until he said, "what do you think of my new Porsche"? My reply was, "nice color combo (guards red/blk leather)". He said want to go for a spin, I said sure. He let me drive it around the lake where my parents have there home.

All I can say is, there doesn't seem to be that much of a competition. I was NOT impressed at all with the pull of his 911. He even told me to "get on it and see what she'll do". Even after that, I wasn't impressed. It's an '88 911 Cabrio with a tail, so of course it's a beautiful car and all but no challenge to my stock '89 944 turbo.

I know there are you 911 guys that are out there thinking "it's a convertible, it's not suppose to be a track car (or something like that)", but this wouldn't have been such a big deal if it wasn't for that sibling rivalry that we have going on and the fact that he told our oldest brother that he could run circles around me.

At this point I have to end this all and agree with my brother, that he could run circles around me... but only if I was standing still.

All in all, I'm glad I bought my car instead of a 911 that I was looking at. I do have to say that his car is down right beautiful and a looker also and I would buy one anyway. I guess I'll have to wait until I get out of school for that purchase (definately with a turbo though).
Old 09-30-2002, 01:09 AM
CamB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The difference is torque. You have big fat torque across the middle of your rev range. His comes in later AND with a lower level (you have more and more useable).

So yours feels (much) and is (only a little) faster. Bet his sounds better .

Did you rev it hard? "Get on it" means 6500rpm.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:26 AM
WillyC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cory,

I'm pretty sure you have the faster car in both acceleration and top end. I've got a stock '86 951 and a '97 C4S and the 951 definitely feels like there's more torque (when you're on boost). Acceleration is pretty good as well. Your year model should have no problem putting down an '88 911, should take out a 993 as well if my '86 951 is any indication of performance of the 951.

That's pretty sad given how much of a price difference there is between the 2 cars. I could buy ~20 951's for what I paid for my 993 (I did get a good deal on the 951 though).

You should ask him to drive your car and then see what he says. The 951's are absolutely deadly on the highway, where you can keep them on boost or downshift to get boost very easily.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:19 AM
Richard Bernau
Advanced

This isn't an attempt to rain on the 944 Turbo parade (I like the cars, I honestly do! The rush coming on boost is fantastic) but there is a lot less in it than you might expect driving the cars side by side. Last year while driving the Le Mans track on the Friday before the race I lined up with a 944 Turbo S (250bhp) and we had an impromptu little race/test - me in my 1989 Euro 3.2 Carrera (Coupe 231 bhp). On two occasions we managed to run from 0mph to about 115mph and there was nothing in it, about a car length to the 944. We both had a passenger and my car was full of camping gear - slight advantage 944. It was damp enough to get a touch of wheelspin changing to second and third - slight advantage 911. A pretty fair race then. Sure, the cars feel a bit different, a linear torque curve in the 911 and a kind of lumpy one in the 944, but look at the acceleration figures in the independent magazines or work out the power-to-weight ratios. There isn't THAT much in it.

HTH
Richard Bernau
1989 3.2
Old 09-30-2002, 10:07 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by CamB:
<strong>Did you rev it hard? "Get on it" means 6500rpm.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I did. I was there. He even drove a little after me to "show me how he thought it should be driven". Sorry, not impressed by the response of the engine.

Oh and yes, it sounds killer.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:27 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

You should take this rivalry to the track. With equal drivers in unprepared cars your Turbo S should stomp him unless he is a much better driver then you. The fast 'F' cars are C2 coupes (3.6) not older 3.2 Cabriolets and generally the car to have in E is the 944 Turbo S. The classes are based on performance potential. In qualifying, the fastest Turbo S turned 1:25.6 and the fastest unmodified (un-bumped) 3.2 911 turned 1:31.4. Generally Euro SCs posted faster times then 3.2s.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:24 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

The Turbo S is obviously more car for the money. So look at it this way, you drop $12,000 for a good 944 Turbo S. Upgrade the software, turbo and exhaust for $4,000 (easy to do), bolt on some nice wheels and tighter suspension for $3,000. So you now have a 300+ Hp car for well under $20,000.

Go out and buy a normally aspirated 911, 993 or 996 and try to stick with the modified 944 turbo, street ot track. Call me crazy, but my money would be in the 944 turbo any day of the week. Let's face the facts, to get a 911 that even begins to compare will cost you well over $30,000, and it will probably say turbo on the *** end. Don't even begin to talk handling, since the 944 doesn't have the infamous jeckle/hyde handling characteristics of the 911. Granted the 993 is much better.

My 5 cylinder Audi has no problems running down late 80s Carreras on the highway. It displaces only 2.2 liters yet makes over 300 HP. Best part is it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. 911s are like Harleys.....very loyal following but you really don't get all that much car for your money.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:31 PM
slomarsh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you try to beat your brother in a drag race it will be a close match but your clutch will suffer in order to get of the line quickly. Run against him at speed on the open road, or better yet, a road race course and you have all the cards. Once a 951 or 951S is out of first gear
you've got torque and HP a 3.2 carrera can't match.

Quick Reply: '89 951 vs. '88 911 Cabrio (My Car Vs. Older Brothers Newly Purchased 911)... UPDATE!