Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Starting car after sitting for four months?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 06:38 PM
crashmy911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Starting car after sitting for four months?

Should I do anything special with this car before starting??? It has been sitting for four months.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't state the year of your 911 or it's condition. But, if the car is in good tune and it was stored properly (battery is charged, plugs are good, fuel stabilized), it shouldn't take much to start the car.

I've never had any trouble with starting my 911's after being in storage and they have always sat from November to April without being run.

Good Luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 01-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Now from reading your new posts, it sounds like there might be more to the equation than just turning the key and starting the car after it sat...
Old 01-27-2002, 10:57 PM
crashmy911
Advanced

Right there are a few problems with the starting and the running. I do have a pop off valve and the car did start before. When I tried to start it it didn't turn over just made some noises and I could here some wining on the left side of engine compartment. Also noticed the speedometer going up and down if that means anything!!!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:04 PM
cwinter
2nd Gear

Unhappy

sounds like your battery is dead - starter won't crank?...sounds like enough juice for the CD box (likely the buzzing sound you here) but not enough juice to turn it over. The speedo will do that with a discharged battery as well. Get a battery charger on it asap as batteries don't like to be in a discharged state. You should have about 13.8 DCV when charged if you put a meter to it.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:12 PM
John Luetjen
AutoX

Here's another nice thing to do to your motor if it has been sitting for an extended period of time.

1) Remove the distributor wire from the coil.
2) Turn over the motor until the oil pressure light goes out.
3) Plug the distributor wire back into the coil.
4) Start your car.

This will ensure that the bearings and such have a good supply of oil before you fire off the motor.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:35 PM
TC_SJ
Instructor

I stored my 87 turbo look cab over the winter priod, but I start my car at least 2 times a week , I also back out the car from the garage so and drive she at least couple hundred feet, the reason I drove the car so the tires will not be crack or deform when the car park in 1 position for so many days, I learn this from the Porsche news group.

For many year I do not have any problem of store the car over the winter season

TC

Quick Reply: Starting car after sitting for four months?